Water Cooling Guide....v 1.3

watsonte

Nice Guide:) with some great links & info

Thanks! to all

Reading about WC Liquids, Just wondering what the best Ratio for Zerex & Distilled Water.

Seems 5% Zerex / 95% Distilled is the recommended, any benifit to any other Ratios?

I'm adding Liquid as Post

Another Q

Can you connect a water pump to a Fan controller?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always get confused when someone is talking about Zerex. There's a performance additive they make, and also, they make regular antifreeze.

If you mean the regular antifreeze, I use 10% antifreeze and 90% water. that amount of glycol in the water will help stop any galvanic corrosion that might occur if you have mixed metals (copper waterblock, aluminum rad.... etc...) in the components.

As for using a pump on a fan controller, it's possible as long as it's a DC pump, and the controller can handle the amount of load that the pump will take to run. A D5 pump? Probably not. A Danner Mag, DDC 12V, or something similar? Sure, as long as the controller can handle it.

My Zerex is the High performance Racing coolant:) I already know the manufacture says 5%

I guess I was just wondering if anyone has tested 10 or 15% mix

I'm using a Swifttech MCP650, it's not as quiet as I hoped it would be

I was thinking I could connect it to my Nexus fan controller for some speed & noise control, :rolleyes: when I'm not trying to Boil water

For the moment I"m only WCing my CPU

MCP650 = Laing D4. Laing D4 with less noise is a Laing D5. These pumps just draw too much power for a fan controller if you ask me. You could definitely try, but I'd be real careful and super wary of any funky sounds or smells. These pumps can draw about 33watts at full load. Most fan contollers are rated for 20 per channel. You could try a lower voltage straight from the molex (switch it to 5V power instead of 12V), but I'd be afraid that trying 7 volts in that fashion would be too much backfeed on the 5V rail. But, regardless, if you can find a fan controller rated at 33+watts, you should be in good shape. Or, you could grab a D5, they are alot quieter than a D4 (MCP650).

MCP650 = Laing D4. Laing D4 with less noise is a Laing D5. These pumps just draw too much power for a fan controller if you ask me. You could definitely try, but I'd be real careful and super wary of any funky sounds or smells. These pumps can draw about 33watts at full load. Most fan contollers are rated for 20 per channel. You could try a lower voltage straight from the molex (switch it to 5V power instead of 12V), but I'd be afraid that trying 7 volts in that fashion would be too much backfeed on the 5V rail. But, regardless, if you can find a fan controller rated at 33+watts, you should be in good shape. Or, you could grab a D5, they are alot quieter than a D4 (MCP650).
Tell me about it. Even though the D5 offered absolutely zero performance increases (despite numerous reviews) in my setup, the decreased noise was a damn blessing. The D4 is still a solid pump, and does duty in my "closet" server.

Couple other things... Don't mix zerex greater than 5%, the glycol content is too high. I have heard of 10% from some of the guys on XS and [H], but I think it's a case of "if a little is good, a lot must be better" syndrome.

And sticking a pump on a fan controller is probably lunacy, since the highest wattage rating I've seen on a rheobus channel is 22w, which wouldn't even sustain the D4 (24W). But as Curty says, a little old DD Mag might work.

Oh and had to share this little tidbit - I cut up an old gel bike seat cover today, and it's absolutely brilliant as a pump vibration isolator. I checked and they're about C$12 here at our local bike shop, maybe less at a generic hardware store.

• 4 weeks later...

I beg to differ with the 100-150 part of the original post. currently Newegg is selling the HP20-120 Premium kits for $122 USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835108075

even if you add on a DDC pump top your only paying about 150 +shipping.

not trying to be all rebel cuz im new, im saying for all the new people to liquidcooling (like me) who are looking for a nice cheep kit to start with to keep that pesky cpu temp down, go quick before they sell out ! :P

• 1 month later...

Well, I have about $500 saved and was considering into water cooling my system. What parts would you recommend with the money? I just don't want to risk fing up my computer by buying cheap parts. Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD FX-55

MOBO: NFI SLI-DR

RAM: OCZ Titanium PC 3200 2x 1gb Sticks

Video CARD: XFX Geforce 7800 GTX

2x Western Digital Raptors 74gbs

2x 250gb Seagate Harddrives

NEC DVD Burner

PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520watt

Case: Thermaltake Armor which is a pretty big case.