Water Cooling Guide....v 1.3

watsonte

Sweet, advertising. Am I correct in assuming that this thread will get a cleanup upon completion?

Haven't exactly decided for sure yet...but we're thinking so, and then if people have questions they can make their own thread so it's easier to help them one-on-one instead of having three people needing help all at the same time in the same thread.

As for the tabs, I still think they should be horizontal - but again I'm not the one that has to read this thing once its done either. :)

Keep in mind that we'll keep updating it for some time since there are definitely people more advanced at this than we are, but for the most part its complete and should be more than enough help to get people started.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't exactly decided for sure yet...but we're thinking so, and then if people have questions they can make their own thread so it's easier to help them one-on-one instead of having three people needing help all at the same time in the same thread.

As for the tabs, I still think they should be horizontal - but again I'm not the one that has to read this thing once its done either. :)

Keep in mind that we'll keep updating it for some time since there are definitely people more advanced at this than we are, but for the most part its complete and should be more than enough help to get people started.

You guys and your Horizontal thinking.....yeah I do agree that they would look nicer going across the screen but honestly I have tried and tried and I cant seem to do it correctly...

So...basically I need a Thread editing guru to come in and help us with the layout...and then we can have Horizontal Thumbnails...shoot I cant even make my pics from photobucket a thumb nail....

Really, no biggie about the thumbnails, I wouldn't even worry about it. The information is what really matters. I do prefer a clean guide thread though, I like the idea of having a seperate "Liquid Cooling Questions/discussion" thread like the OCDB has a OCDB discussion thread.

Hey, nice sig ;)

Really, no biggie about the thumbnails, I wouldn't even worry about it. The information is what really matters. I do prefer a clean guide thread though, I like the idea of having a seperate "Liquid Cooling Questions/discussion" thread like the OCDB has a OCDB discussion thread.

Hey, nice sig ;)

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing...I think it would be a great thread...not for support or how too but more for a discussion about parts...and things like what coolant you prefer...stuff like that...And if the questions are more user specific then you know we could suggest they make a thread...of course most would do that on their own anyway...

Looks like an awesome guide, fellas. I noticed that earlier you asked about mixing antifreeze/distilled water. I have been using this for a while. It was recommended by a user on a modding forum a while back. I use 10% anitfreeze, 90% distilled water, and a couple drops per gallon of anti-algae solution (at wal-mart in the aquarium section). I have had a few "mishaps", and never had any damage. Two spills that I remember really well, were when the PC was on, and I didn't notice right away. The trick to distilled water is to change it out, because the longer it moves across the copper in the blocks, the more chance it has to become conductive enough to do damage. Also, the 10% anitfreeze is plenty to keep the copper shiny and not corrode.

The only downside to the anti-algea drops, is that it will "remove" most UV dyes from the mix. And it doesn't take long either.... like 10-15 minutes, and your fluid is anti-freeze green again.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody here have waterchill? How does it works?

A waterchiller? Usually it uses the compressor from a window airconditioner to cool the water below zero...you need to use either an alcohol-based fluid or one designed for extremely low temperatures. You also need some high quality tubing, Tygon will work but even it can get hard and crack.

There are guides for making them at extremeoverclocking.com and xtremesystems.org

Finally had the time to read this thread and just wanted to congratulate Watsonte (and the posters) for the find job on this.

Although I have ZERO experience with water cooling It is VERY obvious how much time and effort went into this thread.

Big thumbs up to all that were involved.

• 2 weeks later...

You should check out Aqua Computer (made in Germany). IMO they make some of the highest quality as well as most innovative water cooling products available. It is on the pricey side, but the old addage "You get what you pay for" really applies. I bought my Aqua blocks, radiator etc. from Sharka Computers (http://www.sharkacomputers.com).These guys have one of the best selections of water cooling gear anywhere & great service as well.

You should check out Aqua Computer (made in Germany). IMO they make some of the highest quality as well as most innovative water cooling products available. It is on the pricey side, but the old addage "You get what you pay for" really applies. I bought my Aqua blocks, radiator etc. from Sharka Computers (www.sharkacomputers.com). These guys have one of the best selections of water cooling gear anywhere & great service as well.

Thanks for the tip man, but your link doesn't work?