just got expert mobo wondering about which bios is best for me

ive just received a dfi expert motherboard from ebay and would like some advice about what bios i should use. dont know what it is at the mo as ive only just got it from ebay but any help would be great.

A few questions.. am i right in saying that some BIOS's work better with certain ram and processors? this seems to be what i have gathered from browinsing the forum.

will my 430w seasonic PSU be able to handel this motherboard (i no slightly off topic but would be silly to dreate multiple topics for such a simple question) bearing in mind the low power consuming graphics card i am using?

thanks.

And im learning so please be patient :)

Tmods Bios CD 7.0 (a sticky in this section) has all the really good bioses on it (as well as some very useful utilities) and makes flashing your bios a breeze.

What Bios are you on now?

Lot's of folks seem to like Tony's E704-2bta which is a modded version of the hugely popular 704-2bta he did for the standard series. I've had good luck with it on experts.

The CD also contains the official 04062006 and Tony's modified version of it.

You may want to experiment for best performance.

I'd suggest SG, MBM5 or Everest Ultimate to monitor temps and voltages on the board.

Links are below my sig.

Your PSU IS underpowered and is going to cause problems overclocking.

Make sure you read the links that Tasr provided in your other threads (including the ones in his signature). I realize you don't want to buy a new PSU but the DFI boards don't run well with an underpowered PSU.

Welcome to the forum and let us know if we can help.

All that said and very true, if your board is working and you have no real issues with your system, don't bother flashing. If you are having specific problems then a new bios might be the answer. Are you having any problems?

BTW good choice in getting that board. When i first got mine it was a nightmare for me. I got totally frustrated to the point of wanting to smash it to pieces. But persistence paid off. I am totally into this board and loving it.

did originally have a problem couldnt get the clock speeds i was hoping for with the board, now after flashing the bios i seem to be stable at 2.7 ghz 1:1 divider on my ram with decent timings. am very pleased.

Before I went straight out and brought a new PSU I experimented with my 430w seasonic and its great. not ben a problem yet, apart from the start when I thought id see what it was like without the floppy power connected. wouldnt install windows at all lol. Its very happy now though even with the o/c. so it goes to show that these seasonics are very good, plus im using a very low power graphic card. thanks for the advice everyone.

BTW o/c has done 9 hours and counting of prime95.

did originally have a problem couldnt get the clock speeds i was hoping for with the board, now after flashing the bios i seem to be stable at 2.7 ghz 1:1 divider on my ram with decent timings. am very pleased.

Before I went straight out and brought a new PSU I experimented with my 430w seasonic and its great. not ben a problem yet, apart from the start when I thought id see what it was like without the floppy power connected. wouldnt install windows at all lol. Its very happy now though even with the o/c. so it goes to show that these seasonics are very good, plus im using a very low power graphic card. thanks for the advice everyone.

BTW o/c has done 9 hours and counting of prime95.

That seasonic may not give you any problems now...but you might see them later....the PSU does play a factor in overclocks so keep that in mind...

• 2 weeks later...

Selecting a bios seems to be nearly as difficult as the initial MB selection. I haven't started tweaking anything yet since I want to be sure to have a stable system first (and our summer has been way too nice to be stuck inside). Most problems I have come across have been solve or at least identified someplace here. Looking for some advice.... should I muck around with tweaking for performance and then look for a bios to solve any problems or start with a new bios from the start. I can only assume since so many people use modded bios' that there is a good reason for it.