Is it time to go Dual Core?

-CsA-TAZ

Given the price on most AMD CPU's is it time to change to Dual Core, or is the cpu i have now good enough for another year, or should i get an Opteron 146, i dont really do multi tasks, play mostly games, but like i said now may be the time to buy as they are so cheap now, not sure if the price will drop any further, i quite fancy the Opteron 146 because the seem to OC very well and fancy the challange of getting into the 3.0GHz club :D, the best stable OC i can get @ the mo is 2.750GHz but that is with 1.6 volts and i dont really feel comfortable with that for 24/7 use, or am i worrying over nothing,i will let you guys and gals decide my fate, all views welcomed! :)

hmm, how should i say this...

YESSS YESS YESS :P

kidding, look, to be honest, you wont gain much for games, or movie watching or whatever...

but the windows experiance just becomes better...

its hard to explain, but its just smoother, its like going from a hyndai to a jaguar :) you just dont feel the road bumps...

and with these prices, to be frank, its a waste not to upgrade... before it disappers from the world...

as for to what to upgrade, yup, opteron is the way to go... you'll probably do 2.7 or more without much of a prob...

and plus, in general, the market is going into multithreading now... it can save you a future upgrade for lets say... vista, or new games...

though with the rate of technology, you can never know...

Well you could wait it out....or you could go dual core now...and whatever they come up with next later...

I decided to do it know with the low cost...considering all that needs to be purchased is a CPU, the AMD X2 4400 (89W) is a great chip...check out my sig for my OCDB entry..

In general do whats best for you...if you want to wait it out and go AM2...that works...if you want to go Dual Core now I dont think you would regret it...not at such a low cost...

Well you could wait it out....or you could go dual core now...and whatever they come up with next later...

I decided to do it know with the low cost...considering all that needs to be purchased is a CPU, the AMD X2 4400 (89W) is a great chip...check out my sig for my OCDB entry..

In general do whats best for you...if you want to wait it out and go AM2...that works...if you want to go Dual Core now I dont think you would regret it...not at such a low cost...

Ok I have read other post in the past and the advice on X2 AMD's was don bother with 4400+ or the 4800+ and go for the 4200+ or 4600+ as the only difference was the Cache size and that the 1MB was not worth the extra money as it did not perform any better, and the 1MB cache also did not help the cooling side of things, I really need to know from some one that have used 512 cache and the 1024 cache versions before I buy, as the 4600+ is faster cpu and cheaper than the 4400! :eek:

huh? 4600 cheaper? are you sure? from what i remememebr it was 50bucks more... rechk yourself

cache, well, no, it really doesnt really matter, and yes, machenster (512cache) usually OC better, On the other side, the new 4400 (89w ver) is considered very good and OC pretty damn nice, so... :)

huh? 4600 cheaper? are you sure? from what i remememebr it was 50bucks more... rechk yourself

cache, well, no, it really doesnt really matter, and yes, machenster (512cache) usually OC better, On the other side, the new 4400 (89w ver) is considered very good and OC pretty damn nice, so... :)

without a doubt, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939_X2.html :D

Hmm really dont know which one to go for now, 89W compared to what? thx btw

without a doubt, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939_X2.html :D

Hmm really dont know which one to go for now, 89W compared to what? thx btw

the 89 compared to most...Click my Sig...Also check the databases, there are a lot of 4400s in there all doing very well...

There are also 4200s doing very well, so thats another option, or even the 3800 if you would like something thats less costly

hmm, how should i say this...

YESSS YESS YESS :P

kidding, look, to be honest, you wont gain much for games, or movie watching or whatever...

but the windows experiance just becomes better...

its hard to explain, but its just smoother, its like going from a hyndai to a jaguar :) you just dont feel the road bumps...

and with these prices, to be frank, its a waste not to upgrade... before it disappers from the world...

as for to what to upgrade, yup, opteron is the way to go... you'll probably do 2.7 or more without much of a prob...

and plus, in general, the market is going into multithreading now... it can save you a future upgrade for lets say... vista, or new games...

though with the rate of technology, you can never know...

Didn't Hyundai just turn down a deal to aquire Jaguar?

(sorry this is kind of off topic, it just seemed an interesting comparison link )