Help me Decide-HSF selection

Rezag1000

Right now I am using a crappy thermatake silent boost and have oc'ed my CPU to 2.5 ghz

I am looking to get at least 2.6 and thought a decent hsf would help

I have read a bunch of reviews but I can't decide between the Thermaltake Big Typhoon or the Thermalright Si-128

I plan on installing it on my DFi ultra-D but I also want to use this hsf on a future build as well (either C2D or K8L) so ease of installation is also very important to me.

So, which HSF do you guys thing would be best for me? The only reason I am trying to avoid the infinity is because its size might not allow me to use it on future motherboards I purchase.

thanks!!

*If I get the SI-128, I will use an Antec tricool fan on the highest setting that I already have, thanks again!!

Take a look at this poll: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9385

You'll see what most of us are using, there ara a lot of good options out there. Now I'm using the Thermalright SI-120 / XP-90 and i'm more than satisfied with both.

Just a suggestion: If you plan to overclock you may find useful to use an HSF that also help cool down your PWM IC like the Thermalright SI-120 / XP-120 etc.

Good luck.

Either the Zalman 7700CU (like Techno suggested) or, my personal favorite, the Zalman CNPS9500. I've had both the 7700 and CNPS and can honestly say there is little benefit to either (temperature wise) but I like the heatpipe design the CNPS implements (mainly because it "looks" sweet). My recommendation? The 7700CU. Costs less than the latter while maintaining the same level of performance.

I've just movedo from a Zalman 9500 to a Thermalright SI-128 with a Enermax UC-12AEBS fan (can't manage to get a Papst or a Panaflo here in italy..!).

Well: the zalman performs better in cooling my CPU (2-3° C. lower than SI-128), but the Thermalright lowered my PWMIC (7° C. difference) and also freshes my ram.

So I think the question is if you need a better CPU cooling or a an overall increase of your component cooling.

Well, i also think that with a better fan (and maybe noisier) on SI-128 CPU temp can be lowered.