Wont boot! help! (quick replies please!)

jcll2002

yeah, i tried clearing the cmos by just switching the jumpers, then i used the guide here to "hard" wipe it out i guess thats how you would call it. Im referring to the process of removing the battery and letting it sit for 24 hours.

Have you tried loading optimized defaults..

also just because the voltage is high doesnt mean you cant boot the computer?..I am confused as to what this voltage reading is confusing you...When you change the voltage in the bios then save those settings...reboot and check the voltage again does it still read at 1.65v

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i loaded optimized defaults and it read that the voltage was still at 1.65v even after i manually changed it to 1.35v. I got into the bios one other time (because it would just shut off before i couldnt even in) and it still read 1.65. It has to be a motherboard error, right? i mean why cant the bios change the voltage? Even after i reset if for 24 hrs

i loaded optimized defaults and it read that the voltage was still at 1.65v even after i manually changed it to 1.35v. I got into the bios one other time (because it would just shut off before i couldnt even in) and it still read 1.65. It has to be a motherboard error, right? i mean why cant the bios change the voltage? Even after i reset if for 24 hrs

I couldnt say off hand...I would email Happy Games, his email is in his sig...

When set the volt what do you have set for CPU VID Special Control?

What BIOS version are you at?

Update your signature with your BIOS information. Maybe look a flashing to a new one.

If you think the BIOS maybe corrupt then contact Tmod here for New Pre-Programmed BIOS Chips.

When set the volt what do you have set for CPU VID Special Control?

What BIOS version are you at?

Update your signature with your BIOS information. Maybe look a flashing to a new one.

If you think the BIOS maybe corrupt then contact Tmod here for New Pre-Programmed BIOS Chips.

i dont even know what bios i have because i cant get into it anymore.

Like he says in that linked thread "if you have a bad flash, try contacting DFI and theyll do it for you" or something like that. Will that work?

Maybe try resetting the CPU in the socket might help. I had that happen to a friend of mine. Also, make sure that all the required power connectors are attached to the mobo. I am sure they are, but maybe one of them came loose, somehow. Your temps are good, and 1.5 surely is a safe voltage. Another thing would be to try another power supply. Yours is a quality unit, though.

heres what someone over at hardforum told me :

It looks to be a power related problem.

Something is making the PSU trip, this is usually too high current/voltage or too low voltage.

My analysis so far:

A) The CPU voltage is set to default Volts yet the sensor measures nearly 1.65V.

This suggests one of 2 things, either the sensor is way out or the voltage really is around 1.65V.

As this is more than just a sensor fault, it looks like a power problem.

This could be too high a voltage supplied by the PSU being passed on to the CPU, or the motherboards Voltage regulators are damaged and no longer supplying the correct voltage to the CPU.

This can cause an excessive load on the PSU and cause it to trip.

B) Given that the PC powers itself down at random times, it looks like there is either a heat problem or a power problem (ie short circuit, faulty component using too much power, faulty PSU etc).

You havent mentioned that anything is hot so that leaves us a power problem.

C) The PSU received a short circuit a few days ago which may have damaged the motherboard, PSU or CPU.

If the CPU was drawing enough power to switch the PSU off, it would be more likely to drag the VCore rail down to lower Volts, so I dont think its the CPU.

A properly working motherboard and PSU would try and keep the voltage at the correct level not higher, so one of these is suspect.

Therefore we have a possible power problem with either the motherboard or PSU.

3 things point towards a power problem, all 3 of them point to either the motherboard or PSU or both being at fault.

If you test the PSU voltage rails using a multimeter, with and without the motherboard, we can establish if the PSU is giving good voltage with no load and if the voltage drops off when the motherboard is connected.

If the 12V isnt between 10.8V and 13.2V with no load, the PSU is likely to be faulty.

(ie if the PSU is more than 10% out, its definitely faulty, 5% may be a problem too but I've seen worse that works fine so it wouldnt be a definitive result).

Noting the voltage when not under load, connect the motherboard and switch the machine on. If the 12V drops quite a bit, I'd say up to 2 things could be wrong.

1) the PSU cant handle the load as it is damaged

2) the motherboard has a problem and is drawing too much current (power).

Both the above problems could be present but you'd have to be very unlucky.

What do you guys think?

Obviously its a real pain in the butt to RMA the mobo. Not as bad with the PSU.

I kinda wondered about his PSU myself. Also, a single little itty bitty drop of water in the wrong place can cause serious problems as well.

That's my 2 cents on the ordeal, anyway...............

Try leaving it off for 24 hours. Seriously. During my overclocking adventures I recall similar situations that would magically go away if I just went to sleep and came at it tomorrow.

i left it off for 24 hrs and no joy :(

about the possible leak. Im using a swiftech kit that has 1/2" barbs and im using 3/8" tubing so it was really really hard to get them on. No matter how hard i pulled, i couldnt get them to budge so im pretty sure it wasnt a leak.

Do you think i should RMA the PSU? I really dont know what to do.