Sign in to follow this  
dmo580

Dead SATA connector

I have 3 SATA drives right now after I got my Raptor, and I have it on my old DFI yellow cable. I have another drive on another DFI SATA cable too, and they both work fine...

However, I had to buy another SATA cable from Fry's since I need 3. However, I realized I'm getting some errors once in a while from the Raptor (disk read error) when I boot up. If I isolate the drive, it has trouble booting up once in a while.

I ran WD diagnostics as well as checked for SMART errors.. no problems. However, I swapped SATA cables and it worked fine.

Conclusion? I believe my SATA cable is defective. Thus 1 of my two of my DFI SATA cables doesnt work because I swapped that "bad" SATA cable with another yellow one as well as with the one I bought with Fry's and my Raptor had no symptoms at all. The other SATA cable gives my SEagate 7200.9 (bootable) some troubles too..

Is there some quick way I can get a new cable from DFI? I cannot really afford to drive 1 hr to Fry's in the next few weeks...

There is no other computer store in Berkeley, CA close by?

What about Office Max, Staples or the yellow pages?

Yea I guess there's Best Buy or what not, but that's kinda far, and coming from Silicon Valley, I'm a Fry's kinda guy..

My point is does DFI at least cover the cables and will give me new ones? I had a few Vantec IDE cables before that were lifetime warranty (roudned ones) and they sent me new ones after my old ones died. I thought that was pretty cool.

For all of the glory of a good DFI motherboard, their SATA cables leave a lot to be desired. You're best bet is to invest in some good quality heavy duty SATA cables. Just order a set from NewEgg. They'll be at your doorstep within three days.