[OC] Is 225 HTT my CPU max potential? CPU not stable with even 225 HTT

hiii

Im new to OC'ing.. I increased my HTT from 200 to 230 and my system wouldnt boot and when kept at 225 it would boot but system wasnt stable..

i wanted to know if thats how far my system can go or if some setting are incorrect..

all the settings are default and i just up'ed the HTT to 225 and 230 and faced these issues.. is it due to not increaing voltage?

Or does that mean thats how far i can go with my CPU? is that my CPU's max potential? or can i take it further if i do it properly?

also wanted to know if its fine to just up the RAM timing from 3-3-3-8 to 2.5-3-3-8 or 2-3-3-8 ? what would happen if i did so straight away? does the voltage need to be up'ed for it? what would happen if i didnt up the voltage?

Thanx,

What is the exact model of ram + Rev #

I doubt the psu is on the recommended list,though I suspect ram is holding you back.

I've seen plenty of the same cpu's as yours go much higher HTT w/right ram and settings

If your new to OCin or DFI MB good reads,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

You don't mention the use of any dividers so I assume you are running your CPU and RAM on a 1:1 ratio. That is: when you put your HTT to 225 your ram is also running at 225. It is likely that you are just finding the max of your RAM, you could try using a memory divider to allow you to take the HTT up further, while keeping your RAM below 225.

More info in the overclocking guide - here

As for voltages, increasing them may help you to tighten the timings. Have a look in the overclocking database to see if anyone has the same RAM sticks as you, and what they are getting out of them.

whats the stepping and revision got to do with OC'ing?

Corsiar has made a lot of XMS memory 2x512

That's why it may be useful to know exactly the model and rev.,it indicates what chips are on the ram.

For example,if the chips were TCCD it likes lower vdimm and looser timings.

if it's say new BH5 then higher vdimm and tighter timings.

Added to this if the type of chips are known then it's easy to search the OCDB for a similar setup and see what is successful for other users

i thought XMS RAM was good

I don't think you'll find many recommends around here for it

Memory database,

http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/

Guest caffeinejunkie

what are you using for the LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio?

5x - 200fsb

4x - 200fsb+

3x - 250fsb+

2x - 334fsb+

You have your memory timmings wrong.They should be 2,3,3,6.In your bios set them up in this order first (CAS)2 (TRCD)3 (TRAS)6 (TRP)3.They should not be 3,3,3,8.Scroll down in this link to where it says timmings.That should help.Also if you want to find the cpu max set in bios a memory divider where it says Dram Freq Set,put it to 166 05/06 then push up you FSB slowly to find the cpu max.The memory you have is C2 which is like i said 2,3,3,6.Go to the corsair link iam sending scroll down to where it says Twin 512C2PT,what does it say?Someone left a commet on the web sit where you purchased the memory saying 3,3,3,8 who was wrong that may of threw you off.The 3,3,3,8 is for 3200 memory,yours is 3200C2 which is totaly diffrent.With that done you should run better.Yes as you go up on your clock your memory Dram voltage needs to be added as needed as well as your cpu voltage.The LDT/FSB Freq Ratio you can leave it on auto.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145450

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms.html

Thank you so much for that info.. i feel better now as i know my ram can give me those timings.. although all i know is lesser timings the better.. i dont know what those timings actually stand for lol.. but thank you again...

just wanted to confirm a few things just so i dont screw up my hardware.. changing the ram timings to the one you mentioned above without making any adjustments to voltage or anything like that is not harmful right?

if its not harmful, do let me know what else i should change in the DRAM menu.. all of them are still set to default/auto.. even the frequency...

Go ahead and loosen the timings if it will allow you to get a higher clock speed out of em. Note that a lot of us are using 2gb kits of ram. My particular set comes with stock timings of 3-4-4-8. While some might look at that and say "dude, that sucks" there are others that know that timings don't play a significant role in real world performance. ie.... My 2x1gb sticks at loose timings run battlefield 2 a hell of a lot better then my 2x512mb sticks at tight timings.