Sign in to follow this  
panheimer

why opteron?

By your logic "a K8 is a K8" then ALL dual cores should OC exactly a like. Weak argument.

I read a "K8 is a K8" several more times and I still can't see where I stated that we were talking overclocks.

A K8 is a K8, they have the same memory controller and HTT link.

A K8 is a K8 means what I said before.

There are some nice consumer cpus out there. I have a 3500+ CDBHE 0550MPM that does 2.9ghz on air prime 12hour stable. Then I just got my Opteron 165 that does 2.924ghz at 1.44v 12hour prime stable. I'm very happy with my Opteron. Opteron is the best route imho.

I read a "K8 is a K8" several more times and I still can't see where I stated that we were talking overclocks.

A K8 is a K8 means what I said before.

Either way, you were wrong because the K8 2xx and 8xx series have more HTT links.

X2's and dual core Opterons are the same processors. Opterons are the best of the best. They exist for one purpose and that's the server environment. As a group a good stepping Opteron is going to overclock higher then an equally good stepping X2. And from the OP's original post I thought we were talking about overclocking.

it really worths the price difference? overclocks better?

Where can one find the "Toledo" core 3800 X2? I look in my usual haunts, Newegg, Monarch, Tankguys and I do not see any Toledo core (2x1MB L2) cpu's.

An X2 3800+ has a Manchester core.

And from the OP's original post I thought we were talking about overclocking.

In response to Need4me2, I was pointing out the fact Opterons and X2's have the same architecture.

Heres where i got the the info, as I said before I don't know what benefit there is but I like the idea of communicating with another socketed cpu. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...96_8805,00.html I went opteron based on the success of others with overclocking, nohing wrong with X2 but i would only want a 4400 or 4800 for the 2x1mb L2 cache. My next rig is going to be Conroe anmyway, maybe one more 939 opty build for folding when prices are rock bottom. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...5_13041,00.html this is the standard X2 just click on "key architectural features" link for the diagram.

Heres some more comparison from there tech pages

The opteron:

HyperTransport™ Technology

Provides a scalable bandwidth interconnect between processors, I/O subsystems, and other chipsets

Support of up to three (3) coherent HyperTransport links, providing up to 24.0 GB/s peak bandwidth per processor

Up to 8.0 GB/s bandwidth per link providing sufficient bandwidth for supporting new interconnects including PCI-X, DDR, InfiniBand, and 10G

The X2:

HyperTransport™ technology for high speed I/O communication

One 16-bit link up to 2000MHz

Up to 8GB/s HyperTransport™ I/O bandwidth

Up to 14.4GB/s (socket 939) or 20.8GB/s (socket AM2) total delivered processor-to-system bandwidth (HyperTransport bus + memory bus)

From what I understand they have higher bandwidth than AM2 CPUs. Way to go opty's.