SLI & VC/RE mod success

djbob

Greetings all,

This is primarily to say THANKS to all those unsatisfied, fanatical, overachieving members who spend countless hours modding, tweaking, fussing (probably cussing) and testing so they can eek out every last drop of improvement on an already good system. And then SHARE it with the rest of us.

Well, I got the bug and decided to try my hand at a few of the "improvements". I picked up another Ultra-d and a pair of 6600gt's really cheap, took the day off work when all parts were delivered (No, I didn't PRETEND to be sick) and went at it. I had researched the stickys by Happy, Thunda and Exroadie so I had a mental picture of what I was doing. The entire project took less than 3 hours. That may seem long but I also followed Informationators guide on lapping and really put a mirror finish on the evercool. While I had my rig apart I removed the stock HSF and lapped that as well. The aluminum seemed to take a little longer for some reason but my temps now reflect the effort. It wasn't as mirrored as the copper, but it was a very noticeable improvement.

The rest of the install went smooth and it fired right up into sli.

My Temps before: Cpu - 35 Chipset - 42 to 43

My Temps AFTER: Cpu - 28 Chipset - 34

I haven't put any major stress on the system yet other than playing Oblivion at HIGH resolutions. Sorry, but I had just gotten SLI and running prime or occt just wasn't my first priority. I might be an old guy but I still like my games.

One little tip to pass on: In Happys sticky he uses a card to apply the AS5 or ceram, I couldn't find a card similar, so I cut out a piece of the Evercool packaging - the clear plastic - a little wider than the chip. It worked great and is see through so you can get a thin, even layer.

Anyway, THANKS again for your efforts. They are greatly appreciated.:)

I did the SLI and vc-re mod myelf a week ago.

Idle temps are now chipset 35, PWMIC 40, CPU 31

The temps under load are chipset 40, PWMIC 48, CPU 51 degrees

considering my old 3700 uses 1.54V for 2600MHz

The specs. on the packaging doesn't list a db but yes the fan is very quiet. I can't hear it all because my cpu fan is the loudest in my case. Also, if you don't like the blue and red lights there is a sticky by Informationator that shows you how to disable them. As for me, they fit in my case theme rather nicely so I kept them. If you want to lower your chipset temps I would definitely get one, and if you do be sure to use the link in Happy games thread so DFI-street will get credit. Good luck.

The Evercool VC-RE should be identical to the Vantec IceberQ 4 I am using... so it should be around 24 dBA of noise at 6000 rpm. The stock DFI fan is more powerful and its blades are bigger and have a higher angle of attack, it also moves a lot more air which makes it more noise... of course thats because the DFI heatsink is made of aluminum, and it requires tons of volumes of air to work, while copper require less air volume to do a good job.

http://www.vantecusa.com/pdf/ccba4c.pdf