chipset fan noise

Hi. I've had my system for almost a year now and things have been working fine. A few days ago, I powered off the system for the first time in months to upgrade the DVD burner. When I first powered it on, there was a loud noise coming from the system so I powered it off, removed the cover and check on things again. After looking for cable in a fan and not finding anything, I got some compressed air and shot it into the spinning chipset fan. That cleared it up and so I didn't worry about it.

This morning (about a week after the install) I come to the machine and it is grinding away again. After tapping the case a little, it stops again but now I'm wondering how long that is going to last.

so... my actual questions are:

a) What is the warranty on these motherboards? I looked at the original box it came in and the manuals and didn't see.

B) Can I just replace the chipset fan with a third party fan? If so, can someone recommend something that will fit?

Walter

Welcome to DFI-Street

A good chipset replacement one is the Evercool VC-RE. It’s quieter and a lot of people get a 5ºC - 10ºC drop in temp. Use AS5 when installing the new one.

If you decide to order a new one do DFI-Street a favor and use the link in Happy_Games signature for the VC-RE chipset cooler. DFI-Street gets a credit and that helps fund the Street.

In UK - Evercool VC-RE

Check these Tutorials out on the Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan.

Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Mod Guide

Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation

Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5

tasr you beat me lol :)

There are also several alternatives, but the evercool seems to be the most common.

If you want to go passive there are the Thermalright HR-05 SLI for example. You need some good airflow though.

There is also the Jing Ting cooler, which seems to offer really good cooling.

You could also do some cheap ghetto modding like I've done in my "Ultra-D and Antec P180 cooling modifications" thread (see sig).