fanless cpu heatsinks?

would a wc setup with no pumps/fans be practical? just a radiator. heck maybe not even a radiator.

lol NO

1. any WC setup with no pump would OVERHEAT really fast...

2. any wc setup w/o radiator would OVERHEAT really fast...

3. most WC setup's that dont have fans on the rad need a SUPER HUGE passive radiator..

if you want silent....get a PA 120.3 w/ shroud and 3 silent 120mm fans

i dont think that will work. in fact, i am pretty sure that wont work. try reading these...

- My Passive Watercooling System

- CPU Vapor Cooling Thermosyphon (this is what you are wanting to do, as you can see, it is very hard to attain and you still have to have air flow within the case to cool the Thermosyphon.)

- Passive Thermosyphon

- Thermosyphons - The Half Pint Test

- Heatpipes & Thermosyohons - How They Work

Stick with your XP-90. Get a fan controller if you don't already have one. If your not even overclocking the XP-90 with a 92mm fan at low speeds would hardly be noticable. Only reason i would go with watercooling would be for some crazy overclocking. Otherwise it just seems like a hassle for having a somewhat 'silent' PC.

Even the fanless heatsinks need some airflow to work properly. I use a Noctua NH-U12 heatsink with no fan, and it kicks butt. But three low speed 120mm fans ( one intake in front, and two in the back of the case) provide some decent airflow. It's still VERY quiet and I can't really hear anything besides a very low humming noise. When I have my headset on I can't hear a damn thing :D

what if i had really long tubes and wrapped some kind of metal coil around them? wouldn't the water travel around in a cycle due to temperature differences?

untitledaq0.jpg

You might notice a little of this phenomenon happening if your loop extended the height of your house, but I've seen this thing explained on This Old House talking about heating radiators, and I don't think even that would happen to a great enough degree to give you anything. Plus, the water would have to get hot, and that means you wouldn't get good cooling. In short, it might work but it would be extremely impractical and certainly not OCable if even runable.

An engineering genius might be able to make it work, and if you do, get a patent on it because you'd be bound to get some real cash for it. :D