[RESOLVED]Game Freeze & Sound Loop

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Unfortunately this isn't solved, lol. I really thought it was, until I noticed that my CPU speed dropped to 893 mhz when I dropped the LDT/FSB to 4. Naturally, I believed that setting the CPU/FSB multiplier to 12x and manually setting the HTT to 200 would solve the problem...

This, again, causes the game crashed. Which told me that I could possibly blame the CPU for once. Therefore, I tried 24 hours of Prime95 and not a single error occured. After 30 minutes or so in 3DMark05, the computer restarts and SLI is disabled for various reasons. Only once did I get an onscreen error when I returned to windows ("Windows has just recovered from a serious error, blah, blah.") When I sent the error report, it pointed at nVidia's drivers (84.21) or other Windows XP updates.

Why don't I believe that the drivers are a problem? Mostly because 3D applications were working perfectly when my processor was running at 833 mhz, lol. Yeah, still not acceptable. I am now left back at my first conclusion, the PCIe or HyperTransport bus just isn't capable of handling that much data flow (though I could try increasing the voltage on the chipset -- my current load temps are 50 C for the chipset).

**I did try increasing the voltage on the processor to a total of 1.4V, but no luck. It just raised the temps without any gain in 3D stability**

Guest Kobalt
Wow. Unfortunately this isn't solved, lol. I really thought it was, until I noticed that my CPU speed dropped to 893 mhz when I dropped the LDT/FSB to 4. Naturally, I believed that setting the CPU/FSB multiplier to 12x and manually setting the HTT to 200 would solve the problem...

This, again, causes the game crashed. Which told me that I could possibly blame the CPU for once. Therefore, I tried 24 hours of Prime95 and not a single error occured. After 30 minutes or so in 3DMark05, the computer restarts and SLI is disabled for various reasons. Only once did I get an onscreen error when I returned to windows ("Windows has just recovered from a serious error, blah, blah.") When I sent the error report, it pointed at nVidia's drivers (84.21) or other Windows XP updates.

Why don't I believe that the drivers are a problem? Mostly because 3D applications were working perfectly when my processor was running at 833 mhz, lol. Yeah, still not acceptable. I am now left back at my first conclusion, the PCIe or HyperTransport bus just isn't capable of handling that much data flow (though I could try increasing the voltage on the chipset -- my current load temps are 50 C for the chipset).

**I did try increasing the voltage on the processor to a total of 1.4V, but no luck. It just raised the temps without any gain in 3D stability**

How did it get to 833MHz?

If you set FSB to 200, and then LDT/FSB to 4x, and CPU multiplier was 12, then you should have seen CPU running at 2.4GHz, with HT link running at 800.

If your CPU can pass prime95, then it really is doubtful that that is the issue. If memtest also passes with 0 errors, then it could be voltage issue. Run prime95 on both cores, and then log the results with motherboard monitor 5 (having it log the data every 2 secs). Then after one hour, check & post voltages.

Turn OFF the reboot on error also, so you can see the stupid BSOD message.

It may also be the gfx card, and since you mentioned SLI, try only 1 card in system, then swap them and try the other if it keeps crashing on you.

That is most-definitely correct. However, I never did install the Dual-Core optimizer. I just did that (and increased the voltage on the chipset); now I found more stability. We'll see how long it lasts. This thread can probably still considered closed. It takes SLI problems too long to show (usually a week or so).

I took a look at the X1900XTX and the performance is similiar in BF2; however, other games show more difference between 7800GTX 256MB SLi and the X1900XTX.

It took me some time to decide between the two. On one hand, I could have much more stability and over-clocking capability; then on the other, I have SLi... a technology that sounds nice, and is nice -- only when it wants to work, lol.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I did adjust the LDT/FSB to x4 (and is currently that way). Since all other functions were set to Auto at the time, the motherboard automatically adjusted the speed to equal 833 mhz. I do know exactly how strange that is.

Again, temperatures are all within normal ranges on any test. The highest recorded temperatures come from the GPU's that reach nearly 78 C. Next is the chipset at 55 C. Processor only reaches 41 C. All these temps are recorded in a 26.7 C environment.

BSOD message would not occur. PC restarts regardless of that setting.

At the moment, the system has been completely stable while running 3DMark05 at full settings (over 10 passes on every test consecutively).

I also manually set my memory timings to 3-4-4-8 (2T setting) a few days ago, instead of having it on Auto (no errors in several hours of Memtest86+).

I noticed near-complete stability in 3D applications when the two things happened: (1) The processor was set to 833 mhz for an unknown reason by the motherboard, (2) Dual-Core Optimizer intalled (but driver has always been installed).

I normally judge complete stability by all of the following: (a) 8 hours of Memtest86+ without error; (B) 12 hours of Prime95 without error; © 8 hours 3DMark05 on full settings; and (d) one full week of gaming on the machine.