Sign in to follow this  
sasquatch1313

Is my video card dead?

Greetings everyone,

Thanks to the support of this website I have had the system in my sig up and running smoothly for over a year now. But the last couple of days have presented some problems, I believe with the video card. I am getting some corruption of the video signal, the following screenshot illustrates the effect:

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/981d7d7e3f.png

The screen shot is in Linux (Red Hat WS 4) but the corruption is also present in Windows (XP Pro 32-bit) and usually worse.

The wierd thing is that is comes and goes. It first occured on Thursday and actually gave me a BSOD in Widows. I had just installed some Microsoft Powertoys so I got rid of those and things seemed to be fine. It happened again on Friday and turning it off for a while seemed to fix it. Then on Saturday a couple of reboots cleared it up (changing from Windows to Linux to Windows). Sunday and Monday it has been fine.

Possible problems I could think of:

Card out of socket, overly dusty, etc. - pulled out and reseated card, everything looked ok.

Heat - card is water cooled, chip has never been above 40C, copper heatsinks on ram are cooled by the 2x120mm radiator fans blowing across the card

Power - voltage rails are steady within 0.02V when starting, running, and stopping 3D applications.

Drivers - corruption with both Cat 6.6 and 6.7 in Windows, also occurs in Linux

Ports - corruption seen through both DVI and Dsub connections on the card

Overclocking - card clocks have been returned to normal, corruption still occurs

I am open to any other suggestions, I am thinking the card is slowly dying, but welcome any other advice and opinions. Thanks,

Sasquatch1313

Greetings everyone,

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/981d7d7e3f.png

Sasquatch1313

That is definately a card issue. For starters take the overclock out of the video card and see if that effects

the issue at hand. Also make sure the GPU heatsink fins are clean (no dust bunnies in the fan/fins).

It is not uncommon for cards to loose OC over head with age. If the card still does it at stock clocks with a

a clean GPU cooler ( air cooled cards ) then RMA and/or replace it.

Viper