Sign in to follow this  
ghoul2oo3

Overclocking Recommendation

Hey guys, I have a question regarding my Socket 754 3000+ Newcastle Core. I wanted to know what would be the best recommended voltage along side a 2.3/2.4GHz increment from the stock 2.0Ghz?

I've noticed post lag when I power it up so I believe the CPU isn’t getting enough voltage in order to post as fast as it does with stock speeds.

Any help would be appreciated as all I’m after is a voltage recommendation.

just increase the voltage until it boots and it's prime stable, or you can try putting your ram on a divider first to see if it's the ram stopping you from booting. I try the latter first. good luck

set it to 1.5 should take you to 2500+.It will take 1.696 to hit 2600+

If you have a SATA drive your gonna have to put it in sata 3 or 4 and don't use 1 or two or you wont get past 234fsb

need to lock your AGP Bus Freq at 67, turn off Thermal Throttling, LDT-Multi down to 3x and after 2500 to 2.5x at 2600 and for sure at 2600 you have to give the chip set 1.8v and raise the agp to 1.7 Always use memtest when making changes to your bios need to pass tests 5 & 8

set it to 1.5 should take you to 2500+.It will take 1.696 to hit 2600+

If you have a SATA drive your gonna have to put it in sata 3 or 4 and don't use 1 or two or you wont get past 234fsb

need to lock your AGP Bus Freq at 67, turn off Thermal Throttling, LDT-Multi down to 3x and after 2500 to 2.5x at 2600 and for sure at 2600 you have to give the chip set 1.8v and raise the agp to 1.7 Always use memtest when making changes to your bios need to pass tests 5 & 8

Thanks for the replies guys I'll look into this, btw is CPU VID Special Control on 126% decent if use 1.5?

Woah, That'd be like 1.85 or more volts, way too much but I'm not familiar w/socket 754.

Try to keep it under 1.6 volts, which should be no higher than 1.3 volts @ 123%(1.3*1.23=1.599 volts)

You will get varied answers for this question, but I almost know 1.85 volts is way too high.

Woah, That'd be like 1.85 or more volts, way too much but I'm not familiar w/socket 754.

Try to keep it under 1.6 volts, which should be no higher than 1.3 volts @ 123%(1.3*1.23=1.599 volts)

You will get varied answers for this question, but I almost know 1.85 volts is way too high.

Note taken Kaxx, perhaps I should just leave VID left on auto?

Set both voltage controls manually, your total CPU voltage is just the one times the other, so if you have it set to 1.300 and 104% your total is just 1.3*1.04=1.352v

You have to be careful w/ voltage. Had you set it to 1.5*1.26 you could have fried your chip before it even booted into windows. I'm assuming that you have stock cooling? If so I'd suggest not increasing the volts past 1.45 unless you're really trying to get every last drop of mhz out of your processor, in which case I'd max out to 1.5. If you really want to go past 1.55v you need some sort of hardcore cooling system (watercooling or some such thing). What's really important is the temperature the processor runs at but voltage increases temperature quickly so you need to be careful while changing it and watch your system closely while you stress test it.

Also, your goal is to run with the lowest possible voltage that your computer will run stably with. Less voltage = less heat = longer lifespan and a few less cents of power each month. So you should leave it at stock while incrementing the mhz to see how high you can get it stably, then when it fails increase the voltage a tad until it functions again.

Also, read the OCers guide about 4 times.

EDIT: my comments about voltage limits were for 90nm cores, the newcastle is 130nm so it can handle more voltage; my numbers weren't accurate for 130nm but you still need to be just as careful and attentive to your voltages they'll just be safe somewhat higher than I said

Your memory Dram voltage is 2.8 at stock voltage.Try that.In the genie bios under Dram Configuration.

On the nf3 250Gb, your memory voltage is 2.6 @ stock, not 2.8. Only increase it if you need to when 'ocing.