Reboots, freezes, bluescreens, black screens, graphical corruption aft

I just upgraded from a 3200+ to a 4200+ and my system stability is way down. It reboots, freezes, and gives various blue screens of death (and usually a different one every time, even if I try the same thing that crashed it again), almost always during games and CPU benchmarks.

I'm almost 100% sure it's my power supply (it was lacking even on the old CPU), but before I spend $100 on a new one I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything else -- anything at all -- that could be causing this. Is it normal for power source deficiencies to cause such a variety of issues?

In any case, I'm thinking of getting this power supply, the Aerocool Zerodba 500W. Has anyone heard anything about this one?

Have you cleared your cmos before you have installed the new CPU?

I am also pretty sure that you have issues because of that underpowered PSU. I have never heard anything about the Aerocool, I would say get one from the A-list to be sure to get one that will work for sure with DFI boards! OCZ´s GameXStream 600/700W are always are good choise. Just check the PSU-sticky for more information.

Gipse

Have you cleared your cmos before you have installed the new CPU?

Hmm, I forgot to do that. I'll try that in the morning, although I doubt it will help.

I am also pretty sure that you have issues because of that underpowered PSU. I have never heard anything about the Aerocool, I would say get one from the A-list to be sure to get one that will work for sure with DFI boards! OCZ´s GameXStream 600/700W are always are good choise. Just check the PSU-sticky for more information.

I don't really want anything more than 500 unless it's necessary. Also the OCZ ones are oversize and won't fit in my case. :P I might just get the 500-watt Blue Storm.

Just make sure you get one from the 'recommended list' in the sticky thread here... if not only to avoid continued abuse from the DFI-Street crew:p But seriously, stick to the list, and you wont go wrong. PSU issues and DFI boards seem to go hand in hand, so you want a good one.

Also the OCZ ones are oversize and won't fit in my case.

The GameXStream PSU has a different design, it will fit for sure. The "old" Powerstream´s were made in an oversized design; I assume because of the voltage regulation ability.

Gipse

Aerocool is actually on the list of PSU's to AVOID....so do yourself a favor and don't buy it...now...after you do the CMOS clear which is a MUST, if you're still having issues, try flashing to a newer BIOS...it can do wonders to weird issues

Your sig is indicating that you're now running a 400W FSP. Did you get a 500W unit or a 400W unit. Please clarify.

Hopefully you followed the proper procedure for swapping CPU's and didn't skip any steps, especially going from a single core to dual core. When I swapped mine I found even after following a solid procedure for swapping that many of my previous rock solid bios, voltage and memory settings needed tweaking.

Did you run Memtest to ensure system stability? Did you run Prime95 torture test (blended) to ensure system stability?

Your sig is indicating that you're now running a 400W FSP. Did you get a 500W unit or a 400W unit. Please clarify.

I got a 500W unit. The sig should be correct now. Everything works 100% fine now except for the memory bandwidth test in Sandra, which crashes the system. SiSoft says that this is usually caused by agressive RAM timings, but it was working fine before the CPU upgrade and I am running by SPD as directed. Microsoft online crash analysis keeps saying it's caused by a driver, so I'm thinking maybe I just need to reinstall Sandra (which uses its own driver).

Hopefully you followed the proper procedure for swapping CPU's and didn't skip any steps, especially going from a single core to dual core. When I swapped mine I found even after following a solid procedure for swapping that many of my previous rock solid bios, voltage and memory settings needed tweaking.

I did a cmos clear, loaded optimized defaults, made sure all my frequencies and timings and changed a few unrelated settings (boot order, networking, etc), and then downloaded the driver and optimizer utility from http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_13118,00.html

Did you run Memtest to ensure system stability?

Yes.

Did you run Prime95 torture test (blended) to ensure system stability?

Will do tonight.