37 replies to this topic

#13 Brother Esau

Brother Esau

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

I just copy to disk at WAV 44,100 khz 16 bits sample rate that produces identical cd soundboard quality larger files but superb quality and will play on anything but other than that OGG formatt is what I like!

#14 Evil_inc

Evil_inc

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

I use Itunes, not because I like mac, it just has a good ai shuffle function that will shuffle and factor in my most played songs

#15 ooztuncer

ooztuncer

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2712 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

OK, my suggestion will be like that: whatever you do, first use a lossless conversion method from your cd to your hard drive - store them somewhere, and only then convert them to MP3 or whatever format you want (keep the originals though). I made the mistake of ripping and converting my cd's on the fly, and everyday I regret that...

First some comments from my earlier posts on head-fi forum:

OK, It's been so many hours to figure out what way to follow and HOW to follow. I believe I need some help.

For last 2 days I have been reading, trying, and more reading. I have a 30gb creative zen xtra and decided to put my small music archive into it - around 100 cd's + some mp3's from net.

My journey started with windows media player, converted 15 cd's from wav to wma lossless and figured out that zen xtra doesnt support flac or wma lossless formats - first bumper with a direct complaint to creative in their forums.

Then found out that EAC + lame mp3 conversion offers best conversion to mp3. At this point, I decided to use "b320 vbr new..." comment and I believe that this would give me better results than WMA.

I actually tried 5 versions and listened them in my zen with PA2V2 amp and SR-80 / Senn HD201:
1) v0 vbrnew
2) v2 vbrnew
3) v0 (default vbr)
4) v2 (default vbr)
5) b320

Test music was 5th song from Jaco Pastorius's debut album from 1976 (digitally re-mastered) - just a bass guitar and piano. To be honest, other than HD201's inferior quality against sr80, music sounded almost same to my ears, but decided to go with b320.

Under EAC:
F10 settings: extraction mode: secure (clicked cached and C2 - after it tested my lite-on dvd writer), selected speed 40x, allow speed reduction during extracting, gap detection B, detection accuracy=accurate.

F11 settings: -b 320 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d, bit rate 320 bits, high quality, uncheck "addID3 tag"

F9 settings: error recovery = high, external compression queue = 1

BUT after that I changed my mind and started using variable bits - why do you need constant 320 bits if there is a silence in the song for instance. Therefore:

Well, best way is listening right. I tried to compare them:

1) (320 cbr) >> burst mode + test/copy >>> 10.11 megabytes
2) (-V0 --vbr-new -b128 --lowpass 21 -q0 caused 236 vbr) >> burst mode + test / copy >>> 7.47 megabytes

Besides, both of them are done under a minute for Buena Vista Social Club's Chan Chan.

Well, either I am tired or biased but 2nd method sounded more sharp, kinda increased in high freqs.

On a positive note i tried: -V0 --vbr-new -b128 --lowpass 21 -q0 caused 236 vbr --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d (your recommended line merged with tag info and worked great - creative recognized everything Posted Image

Tomorrow I will listen them again. Perhaps high bit vbr is the way to go...

By the way, I used zen xtra > pa2v2 > sr80

And finally I recommend you to use EAC with latest lame codec, MP3tag (for tagging if needed), and MP3gain (to normalize your songs).

have fun...

#16 shatteredsteel

shatteredsteel

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

iTunes here, I like the clean easy interface.

#17 Guest_Blooz1_*

Guest_Blooz1_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

I've been using EAC for a couple of years now, and I don't think I've ever had one bad recording!

For recording off of vinyl, I use a program called "Goldwave". Not the easiest to set up and use, but it does a great job of filtering out "pops" and "clicks" so commonly found on old albums with "100,000 miles" on 'em! (I have lots of stuff on vinyl that I'd never be able to find on CD.)

#18 Anakin_hollan

Anakin_hollan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

I use VBR 256 - 320 kbps OGG, and am ripping with dbPowerAMP.

To play I use Good ol' Winamp and Media Player Classic.

#19 Guest_Milkshake_*

Guest_Milkshake_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

128 or 192 sounds the same to me, and pretty good quality, why waste space if it sounds the same ( you have to find the number that matches your ears )

Windows media player for me

#20 Guest_oRiOn_*

Guest_oRiOn_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

I run linux and windows, and for linux for audio it is hands down amaroK. I know people that hate linux but they switched over just to use amaroK since it is the best. On Windows I run MusikCube it is nice and light and works well with the winamp emulator output so my G15 plays nicely with it and my other g15 apps. I compress all of my audio (around 5k songs) with 320kbps OGG, with a couple of my older cd's I need to re-rip at 320kbps MP3.

-Will

p.s. like what milkshake said, you have to test with your ears to see what reaches the limit, it gets to a point where you can't defer...but my family being audiophiles/audio-aholics we have very nice audio equipment hooked up to everything that produces sound, and yes I can personally tell a difference

#21 Jachyra007

Jachyra007

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1867 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

I'll coast around 128-192kb/s, beyond that it's no difference to me. I've been playing music with the media player series for years, after my brief stint with winamp. Ripping with CDex for a long time now, simple and clean.

Who has the largest music collection? I'm sitting at 30GB right now, and with just getting my first iPod (2GB nano) as a gift, its pretty hard to decide what to put on it.

#22 likewhoa

likewhoa

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

I compress to mp3 using lame encoder. 128-192kbps depending on track type.. I got about 60Gigs of music.. yes I bought them all!! "your are allow to keep one backup copy of your music" and you know how _great_ optical disc are :D

#23 marcopolo

marcopolo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:29 AM

A lot of what you get out of your music depends on where/what you are listening to it on. If you have good quality earphones you may easily tell the difference between 160 & 192 Kbits/s. I certainly do.

However I tried using my wifes factory supplied earphone on her Zen jukebox micro and I couldn't tell the difference betwenn 128 and 192!

I have listen to much on 320, and 128-320 VRB and for me there is little improvement over 192, so I now do all my encoding at 192! Excellent size/quality compromise.

Marco.

#24 Brother Esau

Brother Esau

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:10 AM

Ogg!!!!!