Sign in to follow this  
azrael201

Advice on new Processor(3800 or Opty?) and RAM?

They'll charge you a restocking fee. You could try giving a call to the place you are thinking of buying from and ask them directly, but if you don't do human interaction then bank on a restocking fee.

Hmmm...

So X2 4400+ vs Opteron 165? They both seem to be around the same price, but Opty can overclock better? If all i have is a big typhoon which one would be better? I've seen 3ghz with just big typhoon on the XS Opty stepping database.

If i can get a good opty stepping then i should get the opty?

stock opty cooler is pretty awsome, and its comparable to the thermalright XP-90

if both cpu are around the same price, i would go for the opty, tht way you could save some $ on the cooler, and only buya high cfm 80mm to put on the stock opty cooler

Guest Neezer

The pricepoint for the 4400 and the 165 are similar now that the price drops are here, but they have eliminated the 1mb cache on the 4400. If you are gonna spend all that money, I would get the opty for the extra cache space.

Guest phoenixdancer

if you havent buyed anything yet take allok at my forsale thread. i have a opty 165 that does 3.1ghz and some g.skill 2x1gb ram that can do nice speeds.

thx :)

The pricepoint for the 4400 and the 165 are similar now that the price drops are here, but they have eliminated the 1mb cache on the 4400. If you are gonna spend all that money, I would get the opty for the extra cache space.

Neg - 4400 still has 1MB L2 cache. That's not going to change. If AMD wants to phase them out they'll just stop producing them and only sell the 4200 and 4600s.

If you are going to OC and you can get a good stepping - then I vote for the Opty 165. If you aren't going to OC then the 4400 is the clear cut winner. Based on the entries in the OCDB (not my xp, wish i owned that many chips) the Opty 165 with a good stepping OCs much better and more reliably.

Guest Neezer

sorry about the misinformation. I guess I got bad info from my bro.

NCIX.com, have a few opty165 left, i just go tmine and got a nice CCBBE0617 steeping, those can do 2.6-2.7 on stock Vcore

cant wait to put that puppy where my 3000+ is sitting

your cpu will run that game if you overclock it. you will need at least 2.4 gig v but that cpu should go to 2.6-2.8 no prob! :)

after all....... the reason we get these bitchen overclockable boards is so we dont have to buy expensive cpus remeber?!!?!!

and get some good 2x1gb ram and you will be fine, you have a kikass card for the game :eek: it should run it smooth as silk

I run bf2 for hours on my system and i average over 70 fps in game everything in video on high- look at my signature

plus the new 91.31 drivers seem to bring more colors ans shadows out of the game

So first buy the ram......overclock your current cpu and then decicde on a new cpu- or not!

then send me the money you saved on that cpu :cool: hehe

IMO, Opty 165 OCed to 2ghz minimum, and nice set of OCZ 2x1gb GOLD PC4000 kit

300 bones! you know that Newegg has em for 255!

maybe i should just gamble on it and send it back if it's a poor stepping. but it might add up to the premium of a good stepping. ebay has some for 240-300 brand new best steppings

your cpu will run that game if you overclock it. you will need at least 2.4 gig v but that cpu should go to 2.6-2.8 no prob! :)

after all....... the reason we get these bitchen overclockable boards is so we dont have to buy expensive cpus remeber?!!?!!

and get some good 2x1gb ram and you will be fine, you have a kikass card for the game :eek: it should run it smooth as silk

Yea right now i'm not sure if the bottleneck is at the RAM (i'm pretty sure it is) or the CPU. My overclock has been acting up i wish i kept a log. Right now I've had to drop the clock to 270 and it seems to be fine.

What a good idea, i think i'll get ram first and then pick up the chip later. I really don't think the Opty 165 is going to sell out dry. If so I'll just find a good 3800 stepping cause a good 2x1GB ram ain't cheap!

Not like there is good 2x1GB oc kits anymore seems to be WYSIWYG

Sign in to follow this