Screen Locking Up

Ran 3DMark05 - 7400 odd marks... not real good, but no O/C on at the moment due to the problems i'm still having...

Thing is - it doens't always lock up & freeze right away - sometimes it will run ok for quite a few hours before it has the problem... I'm going to try and just keep it going for a while - but the graphics card seems to be as ok as anything else...?

So, probably still the graphics card? ...or maybe leaning towards mobo? ..or (and i'm totally open to suggestions here) something else?

The thing with these problems are that you probably just have to try different components out. The easiest way would be if you ask some friend with a similar system (or get access to one in some other way) and try out your components (one at a time) in that system. Ofcourse it could be the GFX, but it could also be almost anything else.

Yeah, know what you mean...

I'm actually running an Opty 144 in this rig at the moment. The XP4000 is new also, after problems with some OCZ stuff that i still need to RMA. Now the PSU is new - so i'm starting to run out of options...

GPU is next i guess - but that is a bit more of a pain (bloody 0905 support line - didn't see that one in their 3yrs warranty marketing!)... then i'm going to have to send back the board itself which is just crazy... If after that there's no joy, i think i'm just going to give up on the whole thing and go back to monopoly or hungry hippos... ;o)

Oh, had another thought. Suppose one of the disks in the raid array might be going bad? I suppose that would account for it also - although not really account for the lockups while it is idle? There is certainly a strange sound every now and then - almost like a fan or disk spinning with a slight wobble...

Anyone know the standard procedure for testing these hard drives while they are part of the array? Do the seagate tools have that feature, cause I tried a couple and it was having none of it - complaining that the raid controller didn't support the operation...?

I friend of mine had some lockups problem with a Seagate SATA disc. Don't really remeber if it happend in idle though. It made some strange "lockup" noises before it died.

I think the Seatools Desktop can test some RAID configurations, but I'm not sure, so give it a try. You can download it here.

If I were you, I should just leave the essential parts (is that even the right word? lol) plugged in, and deattach everything else. Take a harddrive that you know for sure works and install a fresh copy of windows. Use one stick of ram in yellow slot furthest away from the CPU (atleast I think it's that the one recommended). If the problems occur after that, start with trying another GFX.

Then if it stills occur, get some other parts from another system and try them out one at a time. That's what I should have done atleast. I hope it works out for you! Keep us updated.

Had a similar problem like this a while back with my old rig. Everytime it locked up there was a strange click and one of the HDD's shut off. This only happened when I had been reading and writing on the disk for a couple of days (heavy downloading). You could always try another HDD.

Just bought a new Raptor to run my OS from. Never really liked running it off the raid array anyway, so another good excuse to spend some money... ;o)

Guess it will not turn up until 2moz now - so will probably have to wait until then to try it out...

Cheers for the advice so far...

OK, the next update is that i've run the seagate diagnostic tools. I downloaded it and put it onto a bootable floppy - ran it over the 2 drives in full mode and it gave errors on one of the drives...

It eventually came up with an error:

diag. error code: 40h

on one of the drives - but no too much info on what this is. You look it up in the User Guide and it just gives a message which indicates "unrecoverable error" which isn't great...

Is it RMA time on the bad drive drive? That's really gonna suck - cause i'll lose all the info on the existing array...damn raid-0...haha