Sign in to follow this  
ganders75

Screen Locking Up

Well, my problems with this system just keep on coming. I had a 24/7 stable system around 3 weeks ago. Then it started locking up in windows. I mean just totally freezes the screen - requiring a power of to reset it. It is still 24hrs+ MemTest stable, but freezes in windows after anywhere from 2 minutes to a few hours. Normally i come back to find that either the power save screen will not turn off, or the screen saver has frozen.. It has also locked up while browsing the web, etc though - so don't think it's related to anything specific to that...

Things I've already tried:

* new power supply. Originally doing it with my old ModStream so i've swapped in a FSP 600GLN... same problem.

* fresh OS install (well, several actually)

* Memtest - 24hrs+, no errors

I'm afraid I'm at a bit of a loss now what I can try. I guess it could be driver related in some way or something? My nVidia drivers are 84.21 i think (sorry, going from memory here)...? or maybe my building just isn't supplying clean enough power to the PSU via the mains? As you can see, i'm open to any suggestion...

i've tried the latest from nVidia site, and the 84.21 stated above... no difference. I've reinstalled twice today already after freezes. Getting pretty discouraged about the whole thing... Is it likely that something has gone bad? Maybe video card or something?

I take it that you were memtest stable when you installed OS. When the problems occor have you gone into event viewer to see what errors were generated at that time. Also have you run stability tests ie OCCT 30 min test and prime. To try and see if its system related or GFX also can you run 3d mark OK. Always keep in mind that if you only run memtest from bios it does not show how it works within windows that why I always run for windows after checking from bios.

Dude, i'd love to run the stability tests - but the computer is locking up sometimes 30sec after it boots into windows... That said it will sometimes allow me to run for 5-6hrs so no real pattern there either. Nothing ever appears in the event logs - i've been checking hoping there might be something pretty obvious ;o)

Yeah, i've tested memory with MemTest - and each time it is 100% fine, no errors as long as i leave it to run (24hrs+)... I'll give it a shot running either 3DMark, OCCT and/or Prime - but i figure it will lock up same as usual.

I'm just going to start the CMOS reset on it and see if that makes any difference...

I can do - but i'm just in the middle of the CMOS clear. I'll give it another 5mins on it and then stick the battery back in and reset the jumpers and give it a shot...

Failing that, i'll leave it on the clear overnight and then i'll try again and see what happens?

Did the memory test from windows as suggested. It actually managed to get up to about 700% complete before it locked up (which isn't bad as it was going pretty slow ;o) ...but the lockup was there when i woke up this morning...

Hi, have tried the CMOS clear - and it hasn't made any difference. MemTest in windows basically seems to run as long as it needs, no errors - but eventually the computer will totally lock up. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing...

I'm guessing something must have gone bad - but can't figure what it might be... i'm guessing video card, but maybe something else? Motherboard? Drivers of some sort?

As above, i've already tried switching in a new PSU - the FSP FX600-GLN in my sig - and exact same results.

Any thoughts are much appreciated...

I assume that nothing is overclocked right now? Have you tried to run Prime95?

I had pretty much the exact same problem with my old Socket A rig and it was due to a bad 9800PRO. Is it possible for you to try another graphics card just to check? This kind of errors is a pain in the butt, because it's so hard to locate.

Please keep us updated.

Does it crash faster with games or 3d mark indicating gfx also have tried putting a fan blowing into case with side panel off to see if heat related.As seems you have tried most things you may try another gfx card see if have same problem if so may be the mobo.Good Luck!

Yeah, cheers for the thoughts...

@lowboy: haven't tried running 3DMark to check - but i suppose i might as well give it a crack. I'll give it a shot and see just how quick the lockup occurs... side is off and a 12 inch fan blows on it all the time... I don't mind the noise and it keeps me cool at the same time ;o)

@osen: I feel your pain ;o)

I'm going to buy a mid-range card 2moz. I'll pop it in and then see what happens. Probably just go with an ATI of some sort - and then we can see what happens... to be fair i might as well cough up another 50-80 quid for a mobo and build a whole nother PC for the missus... ;o)