Sign in to follow this  
ianmknight

Dual Monitor wide desktop

In my signature you’ll see I have an ATI video adapter and I use with it the multiple monitor facility found in ATI’s Hydravision. This gives a dual monitor double width desktop of 1600*1200 *2 thus I have 3200*1200 spanned across both screens.

As I have an SLi motherboard I was wondering if NVidia have a similar solution for a single card and for SLi dual card. Also any recommendations, I am not an out an out gamer so I don't need real top of the range just fast wide desktop dual or more moniton.

Many thanks in advance Ian Knight

im not exactly sure i understood you, but from what i understood...

a. if you have a single card

you can:

1. do plain clone (mirror, both screens shows the same)

2. span, width or height... makes both screens the desktop...

3. dual view... just makes each screen on its on, heavy on the cpu/gpu, but you can play a game on one, and watch a movie on the other (oblivion + desprate housewives for the girl rockS!!!! :P)

b. in sli, i know a bit less, if you enable SLI, you cant do multi screen (i think!)

but you can use each adapter on its on, just without sli, meaning no gain in game perforamance, just 2 gfx cards for 4 monitors...

hope i helped and didnt misled...

yFatel,

Many thanks, yes you did understand (I think).

So to sum up I can run both adapter in SLi mode for for single monitor fast gaming, or switch off SLi and run dual monitor wide desktop..

Think it is just what I need..

Again many thanks IMK

just stay tuned for this thread, or do a search, cause although im pretty sure of what i said, i aint a sli user, so i aint sure about the sli part...

luck mate :)

I don't run SLI either but I do have dual monitors on my 7900 andI think what yfital said about SLI fits more to what I've read about "Dual Head". I think if you have SLI you can keep them configured in SLI still use dual monitors, and have the performance advantage of SLI.