[RESOLVED]>> C: Drive Filled up?

Hey guys. I'm having a weird problem. Both my 36GB Raptors are in RAID0. C: Drive partition has 5.36GB, while D: partition has 53.2GB. Strange thing is, even with Hidden Files viewable, I can only account for about 3.5GB, it should have a little less than 2GB free, though it keeps telling me its running out of room and only has 95 Megs left? WTH? Pagefile is on a totally different drive, so NO pagefile on C:. Whats going on? Anyone have an idea where that 2GB went?

I had this exact problem, and thought I was going loony! I was missing space on all my drives.

So I posted the problem on another forum, and they quickly pointed out that it was System Restore holding space for older restore points. I had usually turned Sys-restore off pretty quickly after a new install, but because I was working on my OC I kept it active a few weeks.

You can do two things to get it back.. You can turn off System Restore completely, or you can go into the SYstem Restore menu and delete older restore points. Voila the space appears!

Good Luck! Hope that helps

C: Drive partition of 5.36GB is very small. I set C: partition in XP min of 20GB. Think about that next time.

Delete everything under C:WINDOWSPrefetch. Then turn prefetch off.

Delete everything under C:WINDOWStemp

Look for log files and under Event Viewer clean those out.

You could remove and uninstall folders and files. Research it on you own to saftly do this.

Only reason I made a smaller partition is to allow me to install more things on my D: partition. I don't really install anything to the C: drive. Hibernate is disabled.

EDIT: Well I found out what caused it. For some reason windows decided to make a pagefile even though one wasnt specified.

SeanDude05'

Yep, that will do it to. So how space did you recover?

Depending on that program when you install a new programs it could write files to your OS partition (C:). This can happen even if you select a different data partition. That is why I create a nice size C:.

Glad you’re working again dude. :)

Only reason I made a smaller partition is to allow me to install more things on my D: partition. I don't really install anything to the C: drive. Hibernate is disabled.

EDIT: Well I found out what caused it. For some reason windows decided to make a pagefile even though one wasnt specified.

This is standard procedure for Windows. You have to manually set the pagefile where you want it as you found out.

Your primary (OS) partition is actually smaller than recommended by M$ for WinXP. I believe they recommend at least 7GB for the OS. It requires a bunch of free space to perform properly.

Yup, even though you wanna install everything in another partition/Hdd... you still need atleast 1-2GB for the day to day basis of running windows... if not

a. it will be slower.

b. (and this goes for every partition) it will fragment very fast, resulting at A again...

nighty

Also, Windows defaults to putting the pagefile on the same partition that Windows was installed on. It also doesn't delete the old pagefile when you change it to a different drive, so you have to do it yourself.

Yeah, but the issue was I had removed the pagefile on C: and transfered it to a seperate drive, didn't change anything, and Windows just up and decided it wanted a secret pagefile that didn't show up in the Pagefile settings. Sneaky bastard...