Sign in to follow this  
J-Teck

Expert Strange Sound

Hi All,

I noticed this past Monday a strange sound from my PC when I turn it on, I appear as thought the Fans speed up 3 times then a click sound, it repeats this pattern 3 times before it finally goes to POST and boots to windows, it sound more like “whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, click” and repeat itself 3 times.

I thought at first it was my DVD drive going out since I noticed the click sound from the drive so I completely disconnected it and the problem is still there but now I don’t here the click only the whoosh sound.

By process of elimination removed all HD’s one by one, still the same behavior. Finally removed all internal cards and installed a spare video card and still getting the same whoosh sound.

Then removed all fans except CPU I used the OEM fan that came with the CPU still the same behavior with a single fan (CPU). I then gave it a CMOS clear for about 2 hours first that didn’t help, then another 14 hour CMOS clear, but still the same. Also tried another PSU (Antec TP 550).

Any thoughts on what may be happing here?

If cpu fan is hooked to the cpu header and chipset fan they will power up and if temp less than 25C will power down what do you have set in bios for fans check that and double check if sound is from cpu or chipset may have chipset fan making noise as they seem to do a lot of members replace it with the Everccol VC-RE.

Take a look at the chipset fan, they go bad quite often.

My first thought would be a hard drive but if you have unplugged all the drives then that's not it. If the board does it with everything unplugged and the chipset fan looks normal, RMA right away as solid state components usually don't make any noise.

Edit: Ninja typing LowBoy got me again.

Thanks Guys for the quick reply, I did replace the factory chipset fan with an Evercool VC-RE and for troubleshooting purposes put back the factory chipset fan. The Bios temperature setting are at factory default and have been since I got this board for just over 2 months now, these symptoms just started this past Monday.

You guys think I should then RMA this board?

Have you confirmed where the sound is coming from as the mobo can not make whoosh sound the fans can have you replaced cpu fan or hooked it to psu as RMA is last resort.

LowBoy, At this point it’s not sound coming from the MB but it the behavior patterns, the clicking sound is only present when I connect the DVD or HD. The whoosh sound comes from the 2 remaining fans (CPU and Chipset), to be exact the pattern in the fans onboard speeds up then down 3 times, this behavior is repeated 3 times example;

“whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, pause whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, pause whoosh, whoosh, whoosh pause” then it will boot. The click is not present since the DVD is not connected, if it where the pattern would be as follows and I confirmed it

“whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, click, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, click, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh click.”

I don’t want to disconnect the fans for fear of heat damaging the CPU or Chipset. Up until this past Monday the board would boot up very quickly without delays or strange behavior. I think I should have named this post a “behavior problem”.

BTW: I did test the CPU in my old board without problems (ASUS A8N32)

Did you ever go into your BIOS PC Health section and set your "fully on" "fully off" fan speed settings to the same value? All of mine are set to 25C

See if the whoosing speed up pause cycle is eliminated before you RMA the m/b.

I've had this problem before......

Is the "clicking" coming from your CD/DVD drive?

And the "wooshing" is your chipset fan....

I have had the EXACT same thing before.....A short CMOS clear fixed it. I also updated my bios shortly after.

I dont know what caused the drama, but your symptoms sound identical to what mine were.

I see that you tried a clear already....That fixed my problem....

Wesspot, I went into BIOS PC Health and changed the fully on option to 25c and still getting same behavior.

Kak, I did flash the bios when I got the board, I’ll try it again ans see what happens.

Thanks Guys for the suggestions if this doesn’t work I’ll RMA the board.