Sign in to follow this  
Millzee

DFI Infinity 975x wont post/boot

This is my first forey into Intel for many years so please bear with me if my question/problem is a bit nooby.

I have:

DFI Infinity 975x

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 HSF

HIS X1900XTX

G.Skill 2GB DDR2 ZX PC2-6400 (2x1GB) memory

20Gb PATA HDD

Samsung PATA DVD-ROM

Tagan 1100w PSU

Before first bootup, I cleared the CMOS and then booted, went into BIOS, set the date/time and loaded optimised defaults. I then rebooted (F10) and realised I hadn't connected the HDD power supply. So I shut down completely, connected the power connector and then powered up. This is where the "fun" started.

It wouldn't post. The board powers up, all the fans and peripherals spring to life, just no POST beep and nothing on the screen. After much tinkering (clearing CMOS, removing CMOS battery, moving and removing components etc) I've found that after ANY power down, you have to wait at least five minutes before powering back up.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

This is really lame but, I bought the CPU from Overclockers.co.uk. The blurb says its a 'Conroe' and CPU-Z reports it as a Conroe. But the headline at Overclockers.co.uk says its and Allendale. So what is it?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Int..._Core_Duo2.html

As to the CPU itself it is an Allendale...

E6300, E6400 have 2MB shared cache = Allendale

E6600, E6700 have 4MB shared cache = Conroe

That's really the only difference.

Have you tried using a weaker power supply, or loading that one with a bunch of exta hard drives?

Sometimes PSU's will act funny if they don't have enough load to start correctly. I can't really think of anything else at the moment.

I think the 5 sec powerup problem is a different one from mine, everythings comes to life as soon as I hit the power switch (on the mobo).

Yes I'd fully switched off/diconnected the PSU before plugging in the HDD.

I haven't been able to try a weaker PSU yet as it means stripping another machine to do this.

I suppose the problem isn't too bad as I don't have to clear the CMOS eash time, something I was doing to start with before I discovered that simply leaving it switched off would do the trick.

btw, anyone know of a good OC guide for this board? I'm stuck at 342Mhz FSB.

Ok well ive got more or less the same problem as you, also bought from overclockers.co.uk, and spoke to tech support for about an hour in total, hes convinced its the mobo, and nothing else after conducting several tests, like swapping mem channels, and removing till only , so ive been issued with RMA number and gonna get a replacement ASUS board. Its a shame that this has happened, as my last DFI was amazing (NF2 ultra rev.B). But there we go :sad:

1 stick is there. Have also tested the PSU and it worked fine on anotherPC. Cant test the memory or GPU in another PC as none of them have compatible memory slots, let alone PCIE

Give OcUK a ring and they will probably issue an RMA too.

Hoep that helps you out a bit, and at least you know your not alone !!

Thanks for the help but I may have solved my problem. I've swapped out the Tagan for a Seasonic SS120 600w and the problem seems to have gone away. This might be a bit premature as I've only powered down and back up once. Time will tell.

Thanks for the help but I may have solved my problem. I've swapped out the Tagan for a Seasonic SS120 600w and the problem seems to have gone away. This might be a bit premature as I've only powered down and back up once. Time will tell.

Hope it works out for you, I'm getting mine FINALLY fired up as I type. :)

the mobo switch on mine will only power up my board briefly, then it switches off. The only way to get my board to power up properly is to use the case switch for 5 seconds.

FSB max is around 370-400 on these boards on the 9 x multiplier depending on hardware configuration (raid etc).

Ok well ive got more or less the same problem as you, also bought from overclockers.co.uk, and spoke to tech support for about an hour in total, hes convinced its the mobo, and nothing else after conducting several tests, like swapping mem channels, and removing till only , so ive been issued with RMA number and gonna get a replacement ASUS board. Its a shame that this has happened, as my last DFI was amazing (NF2 ultra rev.B). But there we go :sad:

1 stick is there. Have also tested the PSU and it worked fine on anotherPC. Cant test the memory or GPU in another PC as none of them have compatible memory slots, let alone PCIE

Give OcUK a ring and they will probably issue an RMA too.

Hoep that helps you out a bit, and at least you know your not alone !!

Bro' I'd update your signature with your system, otherwise the mods will come-a huntin'.