Dual-Core Opteron Prime95 Trouble...

Ok, I'm following the guide on running 2 instances on two different cores for the cpu...

To the letter... Shortcut properties, Affinity, memory setup, everything...

However, after, 10 hours, I get two totally stable running Prime95 results, but there's an odd catch...

Both of them have been kind of 'frozen' in non-iteration calcuation for 9 of the 10 hours and according to windows manager as well as SpeedFan, only one of the two cores is being baked to a crisp...

Now at first I thought: hey, Prime95 stable, 10 hours! no errors!! But since the test screen was like virtually empty, I wondered, did I freeze? Also, It's load temp is about 55 and idle is about 28, no air conditioner in room is on, but when it is on, it dives to 22 at idle and 47 at load...

Now I'm not sure what to think but it seems that opteron needs a different dual core setup maybe?

That's kinda weird.

Just to be sure, try running stressprime. It's prime95 with a (imho) easier gui: for instance, with a dual core (and the older version of sprime) you simply start up two instances of sprime and use a drop-down menu to set one for core 0, and the other for core 1. You can still choose between large/small fft's, blend, amt. of memory, etc. That link is to the beta release. If you want to read more about it, check here.

It works great. Plus, if your core fails you're rewarded with a volcanic eruption. Fun! While running (the old version) it looks like this:

4hropty.jpg

Go-0, and Go-1=good. Eruption (save EVH's)=bad. Good luck!

thx YeCkeL for the correction.

I found that Dualcore optys will only utilize one core if you tell both Prime95s to test one of the pre-made tests. what you have to do is set them both to custom, with a memory usage of about 400. Keep an eye on the task manager, when you do both cores on a Blend test, only one core will actually run.