what to buy what to buy?!!

snugglealufacus

okay..heres the deal..my g'ma is a huge investing person, and open some accounts when i was born 16 years ago. she is getting old and got tired of all of the paperwork so she decided to close it out and give me the check. well..it came in today..$1,100. now i ask you the question.. what to buyy!?!?! my rig need a little bit of updating so i got a few questions to ask..

1) can my PSU handle a 7950GTX? what about if i SLI the 7950 w/ my current 7800? is that okay or not worth it?

2) any ideas on what to upgrade? a big thing to remember..i do NOT overclock. i like my stuff to be clocked the way it came from the factory cause overclocking to me is like...bad..

3) if i get a new CPU, do i have to reformat?

just spit some items at me n ill look through it..thanks guys much appreciated!

Guest Timmay

Why not just open an account of your own and keep saving after all that hard work your Grandmother did? Wouldn't it be silly to spend that on a GFX card.

Well, personally I think your biggest and best upgrade would be to grab a 4400+ (or some other dual core processor). No, you don't HAVE to reformat, but personally I would because it's easy and can prevent a lot of headaches.

No, you shouldn't run Sli with a 7950 and 7800. Even if it did work, you would be wasting the power of the 7950 as it slows itself down to match the 7800. Yes, your power supply should be able to handle a 7950 no problem, and it wouldn't be a bad move either.

Why not just open an account of your own and keep saving after all that hard work your Grandmother did? Wouldn't it be silly to spend that on a GFX card.

I agree. Accounts like this take time to accumulate. Often times, they mature when you are ready to go into retirement, and sometimes carry hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars (no joke) of money. They work by you depositing a certain amount of money each month, and by compounding the interest. Interest compounds faster than you think it does. Especially once you get going, because it starts going exponentially.

Where does the money come from? From the majority of people that close their accounts when their 20/30/40/50...

It would be sorta silly to blow 16 years of accumulation on a graphics card.

as an older guy...I have to say...either put that money back away and keep saving, or invest it in a tried-and-true stock like Intel or Microsoft (never pay attention to stupid wall street shows that cry like women when Intel or MS shares are down or up or anything...Intel and MS have been around for decades and ALWAYS provide an EXCELLENT return...a family friend bought 100 shares of Intel in 1985, and in 1998 those shares *he re-invested all dividends back into more shares* were worth well over 1 million dollars...put that in your 7800GT and smoke it!)

ps: 7800GT is more than enough vid card right now...being young, you probably want all the latest and greatest...but let me tell ya...it's better to save all the money you can NOW, so that way when you are old like me, you have all that money to actually play with (instead of being like me, wishing you'd actually saved all that money because now I have nothing to play with except myself and that won't buy me a new video card)

That's funny Happy but solid advice I should know better I am older than you or close enough! I guess we are all stupid kids at heart ! But what Happy is telling you is the best thing for you too do. This hobby is addictive and enough will never be good enough... sigh

ya i was thinking investing into some stocks.. something like AMD and Nvidia. i might even put most into Microsoft since once vista comes out their stocks will skyrocket IMO. i would like to put it in somethin like CD so i KNOW my money will grow and not risk 1G..