Sign in to follow this  
red930

Say goodbye to ATI!

Carvin makes high quality power amps for PA, guitar, etc, and they used to make high quality guitars (not sure about that aspect anymore)

Intel is probably trying to figure out how to spin their new Conroe cpu now that everyone is finding out it is good but not really all that great that their NDA marketing with all the sites like anandtech etc were trying to convince us they were

It's not like ATi will be gone, they're just owned by AMD now. And since they've merged, AMD decided not to keep the ATi name and just call everything AMD instead.

As for AMD and Intel, I think AMD and Intel are one day going to be like Ford and Chevy. Right now AMD is king, but sooner or later I see Intel getting their act together, and once they do, you'll get overclockers who swear by either.

There's a preety nice article on Anandtech: http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2807

Apart from various points of view from either AMD, ATi, nVidia or Intel there are some very interesting thoughs and in them it sais that, besides the hugely expensive aquisition of ATi, AMD is now throwing big buck for Fab 36 upgrading and the new fab in New York State.

And there is another question regarding AMD making the ATi GPUs and discarding TSMC.

AMD just recently started shipping revenue generating parts through Chartered Semiconductor, a 3rd party fab that is manufacturing Athlon 64 CPUs for AMD in order to help relieve some of its capacity constraints. So with Fab 30, Fab 36 and Chartered all working to just meet demand for AMD's CPUs, it's not like AMD has a lot of extra capacity to use to manufacture ATI GPUs.

Being a little SF-ish i'm still thinking of a budget Quad-core CPU ... one core for graphics... one acting like a chipset.. and the rest a dual-core proccesor... u add a microATX board some DDR2 and you have a low-middle end rig

"AMD has some internal conversations going on about dropping the ATI name completely from their product line."

That's why it was posted as speculation not fact.