Sign in to follow this  
michaelzhao

WOW! Formula 1 Hungary Grand Prix... just wow...

First background about the course. The Hungary Grand Prix is almost impossible to pass in. Starting position is extremely important. However, complicating factor. Its drizzling/raining. The ground is completely wet so all the teams are using rain tires. There are 2 companies for the tires, Michelin and Bridgestone. Michelin rain tires are MUCH better than Bridgestones. Schumacher uses Bridgestones.

So we start... Raikonnen in pole position, Schumacher in 9th and Alonso in 15th.

Alonso instantly moves to 6th after an unbelievable start. Raikonnen keeps pole.

A few laps later. Alonso overtakes Raikonnen who went in for a relatively early pit stop. Schumacher is staying from 5th to 9th. Struggling very hard.

Raikonnen's fellow teammate De La Rosa is 3rd.

Then first it happens. Alonso's teammate Fischella runs into problems and has to leave the race.

Then, Raikonnen (he's my home boy... love that man) crashes after being in 2nd place due to problems with his left front tire. During the crashing process, he almost kills another driver (Italian driver).

So now Alonso is 1st, Button moves to 2nd, and De La Rosa moves to 3rd.

The track is starting to dry up, so Renault makes an extremely stupid move in my opinion, and directly puts on dry tires. Less than a lap later, Alonso spins out of control and crashes into a wall. This leaves Button in 1st. Schumacher goes to 2nd. De La Rosa is 3rd now because he switched tires to dry tires (a few laps later after Alonso does).

Schumacher is trying to hold his 2nd place from De La Rosa (Fellow teammate of Raikonnen) and is struggling. De La Rosa's dry tires are performing extremely well as the entire track drys up. He's gaining a second or two every lap. He eventually passes Schumacher whos completely worn out his tires trying to fend off De La Rosa.

Schumacher then gets passed by Heidfeld (BMW) who moves to 3rd place. He also has dry tires. Schumacher then has to leave the race because his tires are completely shredded.

So Button secures his first Championship victory after 115 races. De La Rosa saves face for Mercedes-Benz and both Renault and Ferrari have nonexistant big hitters. The pole position sitter is out on a crash (Raikonnen).

One crazy butt F1 race, especially on a track that's supposed to be damn near impossible to pass.

Sorry for this rant, I'm really excited right now...

Why the big deal about rain tires and dry tires? Rain tires are about 8-10 seconds slower on a lap thats about 1 minute 25 second circuit (average).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT! IMPORTANT CRASHES:

Raikonnen crashed because he COULDN'T take the inside lane. After he started lapping, the lapped cars went to the outside lane. However, due to mechanical malfunctions with his left front tire, he couldn't complete the turn and completely plowed into a car giving him the lane. De La Rosa watched on as he was behind Raikonnen.

Fischella crashed because he lost control of the car on a particularly nasty turn.

Alonso crash is a combination of factors. The dry tires on the wet road as well as a loose bolt on his back tires. The first bolt popped on his front tire and then his back bolt gave way. This left him completely skidding out of control.

Schumacher, not a crash, but wanting too much leaves you with nothing at all. He could have played conservative and got 3rd or 4th. Instead trying to hold on to 2nd left him out of the race.

Jenson Button FTW! lol

Nice little write up there, had the family over so didn't get to watch it properly.

Button was on Top Gear, the last in series, and was asked why he hadn't won a race in over 100 starts. good timing tbh :)

Well... good for Button. He actually made a vow that he wouldn't get married until he won a race. I guess he's allowed to get married now!

Still mad about Raikonnen. He's my favorite driver, and he's got the worst bloody luck I've ever seen on a driver. Bad luck for the past 2 seasons now.

Couldn't agree more. Awesome race to watch! Raikonnen indeed suffers from bad luck...

@TS, Alonso didn't spin coz of the dry tires, but due to broken wheel-mount, which had probably broken due to the heat that the intermediates had produced during the race?

Couldn't agree more. Awesome race to watch! Raikonnen indeed suffers from bad luck...

@TS, Alonso didn't spin coz of the dry tires, but due to broken wheel-mount, which had probably broken due to the heat that the intermediates had produced during the race?

Probably.

Yeah, actually, I saw the slowed down version of it and they highlighted the 2 wheel mounts. The front one broke first and that caused the back one to break off as well. Dirty luck for Alonso as well, especially seeing he had a considerable lead he built up after the safety car.

This was definitely the best race of the season. Wet races generally make for good entertainment and put a lot of emphasis on decision making.. tires, etc.

I'm a huge Honda F1 fan so I am very happy with the 1, 4 finish :) Button definitly earned the win, he didn't inheret it. He out paced Alonso for the 2nd half of the race, and poor tire management took Shumi out of the picture. If both drivers had finished, they would have finished behind Button

And he's british! aint seen a british win since the days of nigel mansell lol.

Naw we might have, I stopped watching for a while because.. well Schumacher kept winning.