Sign in to follow this  
ust

Some help reaching 3000Mhz

Hi:)

As the title states I’m trying to hit the famous 3Ghz, with my 4000+ San Diego.

Currently I’ve found, that my RAM are fully stable at 250Mhz (they’ll properly go further, but since I’m trying to reach 3Ghz, there’s no need to force them additionally, at expense of looser timings or more dimm=heat). They pass SuperPi, OCCT, 25 passes in Memtest (test 5) and 24 hours of Prime95.

My CPU has been running at 2,880Ghz, stable, so I figured that it would do the last 120Mhz to the mighty 3Ghz, without any problems; and with my ram being able to run at the desired speeds, I should be good to go.

The problem is that when I try to boot up, my system reaches the Windows loading screen and runs for around four seconds, but then my comp freezes; and I have to manually turn of the computer.

I refuse (prey to god, heh) to believe, that not being able to boot, is a suggestion of hitting my CPU’s barrier.

So thats why I seek advice here!

Genie BIOS:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 250

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X 3.0

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X 12.0

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - 1.500v

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.550

CPU VID Special Control....................... - 102.4x

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.52v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.71v

DRAM Configuration Settings

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 200=RAM/FSB:01/01

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 3.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 4.0

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 8.0

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 4.0

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 15

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 20 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3072 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - disabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. - Increase Skew

DQS Skew Value................................ - 100

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - Level 3 (reduce 15%)

Max Async Latency............................. - 08.0 Nano seccs

DRAM Response Time............................ - Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ - 06.0 Nano secs

IdleCycle Limit............................... - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter............................... - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16 x

Bypass Max.................................... - 04 x

32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disable(4 Bursts)

Might just want a little more voltage but if it's not booting all the way into windows it will be hard to get it prime stable. With water your temps are probably good right, so it might be worth giving it a shot. good luck and nice clocks even if it doesn't make it to 3g's

I know you say your RAM is tested stable at that clock speed, but when trying to find the bleeding max of your CPU you should take the ram out of the equation. Set it to a 1/2 divider and then toy with bumping up your CPU. Also, why 3x LDT and not 4x? 4x would put you right at 1000Mhz LDT which is the same as the stock 200x5. Too low can sometimes cause stability problems just as much as too high.

I know you say your RAM is tested stable at that clock speed, but when trying to find the bleeding max of your CPU you should take the ram out of the equation. Set it to a 1/2 divider and then toy with bumping up your CPU. Also, why 3x LDT and not 4x? 4x would put you right at 1000Mhz LDT which is the same as the stock 200x5. Too low can cause stability problems just as much as too high.

there is not real noticeable improvements in a higher LTD..

Originally Posted by Wildstyle

You are freely able to lower this value and not lose performance because even with a HyperTransport Bus frequency of 200MHz (LDT = 1x), due to the nature of the HT architecture, there is still enough bandwidth available to transfer data between CPU/RAM/HDD without bottlenecking; and at 200MHz the theoretical bandwidth limit is still higher than that of AGP 8X, so video card performance is not affected either.

And I quote...

Too low can sometimes cause stability problems just as much as too high.

I never said anything about performance. But since you like quotes, I'll grab one for you too...

The only thing to keep in mind is that the stock HTT for a socket 754 is 1600 and for socket 939 its 2000.. And when overclocking your FSB Bus Frequency you want to lower the LDT multi to keep the HTT within a acceptable range.. (Socket 754=1200-1800 and Socket 939=Around 2000)

:)

I have tried all your suggestion, but with no luck; I gave it as much as 1.60 Vcore.

I highered the LDT to 4X, but same thing still occurs:

It starts to load Windows, but after some secs the loadingbar freezes and I have to reboot my system manually.

Really guys, I mean it when I say that I refuse to belive that the CPU has hit it's barrier:)

what about ym DRAM config? Could it be a setting? Or what about another BIOS?

Im desperate, heh

*UPDATE*

Just wanted to let you know, that my system is able to post and boot up in Windows at 2912Mhz. Im writing this post on it.

I only need 88mhz more, it simply can't be the wall I've hit.

*UPDATE*

Just wanted to let you know, that my system is able to post and boot up in Windows at 2912Mhz. Im writing this post on it.

I only need 88mhz more, it simply can't be the wall I've hit.

One MHz represents one million cycles per second

It may not seem like much, but 88Mhz is 88 MILLION cycles. I'd say that is quite a lot lol.

You shouldn't try to be hitting some magic nice looking number, you should be trying to get your system stable as fast as it will go.

Can you get 2920Mhz stable? How about 2950Mhz.. if not it seems pointless to be trying to hit 3000Mhz.

One MHz represents one million cycles per second

It may not seem like much, but 88Mhz is 88 MILLION cycles. I'd say that is quite a lot lol.

You shouldn't try to be hitting some magic nice looking number, you should be trying to get your system stable as fast as it will go.

Can you get 2920Mhz stable? How about 2950Mhz.. if not it seems pointless to be trying to hit 3000Mhz.

Couldn't have said it better. Read and follow the overclocking guide. Find the true max stable settings for your system and enjoy using it.

Hi and thanks for replying:)

I have read all the suggested guides on this site, and more too.

MsMolt

Where do you see, that I need to lower the multiplier and in what ´way would it help? I mean if my CPU's wall is 2,8 Ghz?