Sign in to follow this  
OsamaBinAthlon+

what are benefits of sata II

going to be doing SLI mod soon therefore very convenient to do sata II and would like to know

the benefits of sata II.

Just so you should know though, currently even the fastest hard drives* can't even saturate the bandwidth of SATA I let alone SATA II.

*However, some very fast drives (10,000 RPM and up) have burst speeds that do saturate SATA I bandwidth, albeit very shortly.

Thec concept of SATA II is very much like SLI X16.

Currently the fastest video cards can't even saturate the 8X PCI-e bandwidth level, so giving each card 16X is overkill. Thats why benchmarks of ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe are basically identical to the DFI Experts. See the article at anandtech. Just search "DFI Expert".

going to be doing SLI mod soon therefore very convenient to do sata II and would like to know

the benefits of sata II.

I just added a SATA II last week, according to Everest my Write and Read increased; but so little its not worth mentioning. Boot time decreased as well. I cannot feel or see anything else at this time.

Best

Please keep in mind though that you can then put in your sig that you own SATA II hard drives and then people will think you're really cool :D

SATA 3Gbps drives with a 16MB cache perform better than SATA 3Gbps drives with an 8MB cache in Burst because the data isn't limited by the drive hardware.

SATA 3Gbps drives with higher data density perform better at SATA 3Gbps over SATA 1.5Gbps.

The new Seagate 7200.10 drives with Perpendicular Recording Technology are faster at the same spindle speed because the data is packed closer together.

On a new Seagate 7200.10 drive, the difference between SATA 1.5Gbps and SATA 3Gbps is about 10%.

Bottom Line:

Perform the mod while you've got it open.

I didn't think a Mod was neccesary for the nF4 Ultra-D to have SATAII and 3Gb/s Data Rate? I thought the only mod that could be done to the chipset was the SLI mod?

I didn't think a Mod was neccesary for the nF4 Ultra-D to have SATAII and 3Gb/s Data Rate? I thought the only mod that could be done to the chipset was the SLI mod?

Neccesary for both

mod6jt.jpg

Neccesary for both

It says on the box for the Ultra D,SATA 3Gb/sec and Everest reports my Hitachi's at SATA II after I enabled it w/F-tool

Off the dfi site ultra-d specs

Serial ATA with RAID

# Four Serial ATA ports

# SATA speed up to 3Gb/s

# RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1

# NVIDIA RAID allows RAID arrays spanning across Serial ATA and Parallel ATA

I believe it was the nf4-d that needed the sata 2 mod, but i could be wrong.

Yup, the Ultra-D is SATA 3Gbps enabled out of the box.

Thought we were talking about the nF4-D.