Sign in to follow this  
Mussels

4 LED / no boot after CPU change

OK guys normally i'm the helper but i need help this time.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D on the latest or 2nd latest official bios.

I had a 3500+ venice and upgraded to a 3800+ x2.

Basically, i'm stuck at 4 red LED's now with either CPU, short-CMOS reset isnt working, removing/swapping components isnt working either (PCI/PCI-E viddie, 1 or 2 sticks of ram in any slot, two diff CPU's with a variety of coolers)

I just need ideas on wtf to do here to make it boot, i have looked at the post everyone links to about proper CMOS clearing and its in the middle of that now, what are the odds of a 24 hour clear working where a short one wont? i cant really afford to replace this mobo, i was about to sell it off with the venice next month...

im pretty shure u got teh cold boot that everyone been getting

as every one has done they clear'd cmos like days n same thing.. swaped parts on and on and on and one.. same thing no boot...

RMA it tha's what i have done and got a new one and work like spaken new!

progress! important, actually.

It seemed like i had the dreaded cold bug, and i found a solution :)

removing PSU/battery/clear CMOS did jack. so i did what only a crazy mollusc would do, and REMOVED THE DAMNED BIOS CHIP.

Funnily enough, after reinserting it 15 min later, i got 3 LED's and some annoying beeping.... progress! (it was a naked system without a viddie at that point)

now its onto reinstalling it into my rig and working on it.... point is, you people with 4 red led issues, try removing the chip instead of the battery!

Edit: well its not so good now, back inb the case and 4 red LED again. I'll have to have a good look and see why its doing this...

take time and pull the batt. and then undo your pwr. supply. next thing for sure is to be patient and then cmos carefully . like fine wine this bord is pickie...... i did clear cmos one time and it said no.

than again i did another cmos clr. and i was a happy camper again. finicky bords. so i say step by step and in order the way its likking is the way i say. i hope i 'm helpin'

ok, just to clarify: battery removal did nothing. CMOS clear did nothing. removing the battery DID fix it.

The problem AFTER that fact, was simply that the . of a thing reset to 2.6V on the memory, and my ram wont boot at less than 2.7 for some reason now.

so in conclusion, try removing the BIOS chip itself! it worked for me!

well its all a go now! got it at 2.25GHz (225x9) at 104% voltage (stock was unstable after 15 min prime)

So all i can say, is YES. bloody remove that bios chip, shake it like you mean it, and it may work well!

I would think a proper (long) CMOS clear (not the quick one you did) would have solved the issue.