Build for a friend

Scott P

A friend asked me for some help and advice on his new build. He’s currently running a Pentium 1.8 GHz computer I gave him from my old office. It’s time for an upgrade and I’m curious what direction he should go.

He’s not into heavy games and uses the computer for everyday tasks. He’ll probably get into some video editing since his little one will be born in a matter of days. He’s not looking to spend a lot and he usually holds onto the computer for along time.

He was leaning towards AM2, but I don’t know if he really needs to go that way. I was going to have him go with a 3800+ X2 and the Ultra-D. I am figuring on 2 GB of RAM and possibly a new SATA Drive. He has two optical drives and a PATA hard drive he’d like to re-use. He would need a video card too.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I would really like help in video card selection and in choosing between the AM2 and 939 setup.

Thanks

Guest area51

I am dealing with a similar situation...not sure which way to go. I have actually been looking at ram prices lately as that seems to be the only real cost difference between the two platforms right now...

I like your original idea. The Ultra-D's are bullet proof with stable mature bioses...hard to go wrong with one in my opinion. At this point I guess I just fail to see a compelling reason to go AM2. In the future yes...right now no.

Well AM2 is indeed the new architecture from AMD, but no promises on how long it will stay. AMD will have to resond to Intel's new Conroe chipset. He does not sound like someone who tinkers with computers much so I'd go with the stable system - s939. The 3800 is a great choice since it is dual core and if he is going to be using his computer for multimedia than that is exactly what he'll need. If he is feeling gutsy and wants to try new but not quite yet proven and stable tech than Conroe would be perfect. The Intel chips are the best bet for a multimedia machine and the new Conroe chips even stomp all of their old chips like they didn't even exist in that regard.

Far as video editing, there are probably better video cards than the mainstream cards, but if you were taking him that route I wouldn't skimp - I'd go with either the X1900XT or possibly the 7900 or 7950GX2 (read Sorrento's thread as it sounds like some minor modding to the card itself is needed). I do not know how serious he is into video editing but you may want to do more research with some other video editors and see what they use. High end artists are a lot pickier on what video card they use (talking like a thousand dollars and more). If its just a minor hobby, he should be ok with the mainstream stuff.

edit to add link

The current am2 is not that much better than 939, but i believe that the newer amd processors will still use the am2 socket, so that seems like the logical way to go, unless he is loaded and can build a new computer next year...

The current am2 is not that much better than 939, but i believe that the newer amd processors will still use the am2 socket, so that seems like the logical way to go, unless he is loaded and can build a new computer next year...

Will an X2 3800+ really be that much slower and outdated in only one year?

Guest area51

no it wont...not for a normal person.

If you are talking about us hardware junkies who all belong to "upgraders anonymous" then yes:)

The guy you are building this for is clearly not in this category as you yourself said he likes to keep his systems for awhile...I guess I am also assuming you would be overclocking it as you are talking about pairing it with an Ultra-D...

prolly not for everyday tasks, a 7600 gt performs well for the price. I think you are on the right path so far with the x2 and 2 gb ram. perhaps pick up a couple 250 gb sata2 drives, an ocz gamerxtream 600w PSU, if no OC stock heatsink is fine. Try and convince him to dump the old hard drives

I just finished building a gaming rig for a friend on a budget. I suggested he go with a socket 939 setup since the prices were just slashed so much. We got a 4000+ Sandy for almost half what I bought my 3700+ for in Oct. a moderately priced 939 system will still be upgradeable.. with a 3800 X2 now, a 4800+ X2 CPUs will be an upgrate option in a year and will be dirt cheap.

Also, for some reason he is big time into ATI so we got an x850 xt platinum for $170 shipped which outperforms the 7600gt slightly, albeit about $20 more. This will allow him to go xfire in the future when he gets more money.

I have a 3700+ Sandiego its a awesome processor just wish that I didnt pay $240.00 5 months ago and its selling for $100.00 now scoop it up he will be very pleased for a $100 beans you cant get hurt even at $240.00 it was well worth buying.

Hello,

If he is someone that buys things to last without upgrades then get something solid like the X2 939s.

If he is more the buy now and likes to upgrade later, AM2 or Intel Conroe.

But does he need an Ocing board?