Windows Lockup

Have been running stable with this system for several weeks/months - I leave the machine on 24/7 and no problems. In the last couple of days my OS has started locking up (WinXP Pro SP2). The whole thing just freezes (no mouse movement etc) and I have to reboot using a hard power off. You can barely have the thing on for 20min before it locks up again... There's no OC at the moment, and i've just done a full OS reinstall - sadly, exact same problems...

This has happened several times while browsing, etc. I'm at work right now and and MemTest-ing at home since this morning - will post back with results... but any thoughts in the mean-time? Is my PSU dead?

Cheers,

ganders

Run stability tests ie memtest then 30min OCCT test then 12hr prime to check system stability.The OC guide here on forum has them and great information on setting up your system even at stock. Remember that if running memtest from bios it show how memory works in dos but not how in works within windows.

Yeah, that's what i've started with. I've left it on all day so i'll check it when i get back... but problem is that is has always been 100% stable on these settings in MemTest. Only once i boot to the OS have i had these problems...

I'm leaning towards the PSU having crapped out - but i'd appreciate any other thoughts people might have on where to start looking...

Yeah, this rig used to be 100% stable before. It has been running 24/7 stable for the last couple of weeks - literally without a minute of downtime. Then just this week it has started this locking up. I've restarted running my standard series of stability testing - but i figure that something must have started to go bad...?

Well run the test as I'm sure you know there is no easy way of trouble shooting.Also make sure you have good case air flow you may try taking side panel off and blow fan into case to see if heat issue.

OK - i'm at home and the computer has just passed 10hrs MemTest86+ with 0 errors...

Tried to boot into windows and before I could even open explorer - the thing locked up and only the mouse would move, etc. Seems pretty crazy.

I turned off the power and shut it down - then i noticed that with the power from the mains to the PSU but the case switch off, it is making this weird constand ticking noise... Doesn't sound good to me - and now i'm too scared to turn the b*stard back on in case it takes out something with it...

What do you all think?

Sorry mate, i've just done one 2 days ago as I thought the same thing. I had just installed Daemon Tools when the problem started - so i thought "why not?" and just blew that whole partition away and started again from scratch... Unfortunately, exact same problem...

Seems weird that MemTest would pass with no errors, but windows just locks up like that virtually instantly that you get to the desktop...?