Sign in to follow this  
bozotheclown

how low can you go?

It depends, running a single threaded app like most games would make the 2.9 faster but I can have utorrent running, keep outlook express running, continiue dvd-burnng whilst I fire up NFS MW for instance and have great game performance.

I remember my oc'd 3200+ not doing that as well as my x2.

Thats really good... and what would you think is faster: your 4400+ @ 2.7 ghz or a 3700+ SD @ 2.9 ghz???

IMO I say the 4400+ is faster, its just that I have a friend with a 3700+ Sandy @ 2.9 ghz who wants to upgrade to a 4400+ Toledo... I am helping my friend and all, but I would hate to see my friend's face go smiles-grumble.gif if its not fast enough.

:)

My 3000+ venice is prime stable with 1.05V at stock speed (1.8 GHz) and 0.8V @ 800 MHz. Full load temp drops 6-7 celcius @ 1.05V from 41 to 34 with stock HSF and 30c ambient. Undervolting is not so common in desktops (perhaps only in HTPC setup), but it is quite common in notebooks thanks to program like RMClock and CHC, where it means a great deal for extending battery life and lowering temperature. In my P-M notebook, undervolting drops the temp a good 15 degree at full load (66 -> 51).

I Just finished 24hrs dual prime at 264*11=2900Mhz at 1.5v

I achieved this by setting the htt multiplier to 3x instead of auto.

But, I can also do 2500Mhz at 1.2v which is a .15v undervolt:)

I am not sure undervolting is a good idea... vcore and vdimm voltages in the AMD64 processors are related and rising one with out rising the other one, or dropping one with out doing so with the other one might be the source for problems... serious ones.

I think its a better idea to leave vcore at stock and just reach the highest clock possible like that, keeping RAM voltage also low (using divider, and low latencies). Your 4400+ looks really good... whats the max overclock it can reach???

And the RAM is at what vdimm voltage????

Remember the memory controller is inside the cpu core, and running low vcore voltage at the same time than high vdimm voltage could be dangerous for the controller. Maybe 2.7 volts is ok, but I am not sure.

vdimm is 2.6v, default. I can even set it to 2.5v and all is still groovy.

And the RAM is at what vdimm voltage????

Remember the memory controller is inside the cpu core, and running low vcore voltage at the same time than high vdimm voltage could be dangerous for the controller. Maybe 2.7 volts is ok, but I am not sure.

Well,

By allmost no effect on gameperformance I mean allmost no effect on gameperformance with all eyecandy enabled in 1280x1024 and at least 4xaa+8xaf which is how I run my games.

I would say that overclocking does make some difference in game performance.. at least in my case :P (look at sig)

If you use vsync you need a lot more cpu power to actually see the fps rate improve.

And using vsync is very much prefered as one sees a nasty tearing effect in games like Quake4, FEAR, NFS MW etc. when vsync is not used.

overclocking from 2200->2500 does make for an improvement, going from 2500->2900 makes no noticable difference in FEAR for instance: running the built in benchmark, all eyecandy set to max, 4xaa, 8xaf, no soft shadows.

I would say that overclocking does make some difference in game performance.. at least in my case :P (look at sig)

Some games like FEAR, Oblivion and others are 100% video card dependant... for example in my system playing those would only generate between 25% and 45% cpu usage, per core...

While other games like BF2 are more cpu dependant, and in my case it will keep the cpu usage around 65% in both cores. These are the ones where increasing the cpu overclock between 2.5 ghz and 2.9 ghz will really make a diference, believe me...

All this at 1920 x 1200 and maximum quality settings (including FSAA 4x and Aniso 16x, except Oblivion which I just set HDR on with out forcing FSAA).

/Edit

Oblivion doesn't support HDR + FSAA... forcing it thru drivers doesn't work and disables HDR (just checked hehe). ATI however made a patch to make it work, it doesn't with out the patch. Other games that support HDR do work with FSAA, like Half Life 2.

I have read a lot of stuff about how ATI is better than nVidia because ATI runs HDR and FSAA... well it only works for Oblivion, and because they solved what Bethesta didn't... something nVidia should.

As for performance... HDR + 0 FSAA is the same as no HDR + 4x FSAA... HDR weights heavy on the fps.