how low can you go?

Hi all,

after overclocking I decided to give undervolting a try.

My X2 4400+ runs 8hrs+ dual prime stable at stock speed but undervolted at 1.14v vcore.

My stepping is CCB2E 0536UPMW

How low can you go?

btw. I can still overclock to 211Mhz*11=2310Mhz 8hrs+ dual prime stable at that vcore.

Patrick

Why would you want to underclock? Unless temps get out of hand, which they shouldn't at stock volts anyway... added volts (to a point) means added stabillty.... and therefore a higher overclock!

Well,

my cpu overclocks nocely up to 2700Mhz and it doesn't get screaming hot but I've learned that overclocking has allmost no effect on gameperformance so why should I overclock in the common sense of the word:)

By allmost no effect on gameperformance I mean allmost no effect on gameperformance with all eyecandy enabled in 1280x1024 and at least 4xaa+8xaf which is how I run my games.

Yeah, 3dmark and aquamark3 scores are higher when I overclock to 2700Mhz but in games? he gain is not noticable. I really need something like fraps or a gamebenchmark to see the slight differences.

Now I'm getting to making my point;)

If the game performance gain is not really noticable I might as well have fun finding out how low I can go and I'm wondering if others have also tried to find out how well their cpu overclocks (relative) by ondervolting:)

What's the use? None other than a bit of fun. But then, what's the use of overclocking, playing Quake4 or a like:)

Patrick

btw. if I was a real overclock nut I'd get myself a Core 2 6600 now and scrap my beautifull NF4 Ultra-D mobo+ram for another frame or two game improvement after overclocking that to 3+ Ghz.

I'm just killing time waiting for the 4 core cpu's that Intel and AMD are bringing to the market. If they're as nice as I think I'll buy one of those and then I'll start up my overclocking Mhz frenzy mode again:)

Why would you want to underclock? Unless temps get out of hand, which they shouldn't at stock volts anyway... added volts (to a point) means added stabillty.... and therefore a higher overclock!

he is talking about undervolting....not underclocking.

well....i think, as low as you can have a stable configuration.

about the result in gaming: it depends about the seetings of the game. if you overclock and play @1024*768 with no AA or so, you will not see any difference, since a score of 150 FPS or 250FPS doesn't make any difference to ur eyes....but if you start playing 1600x1200 with AA or AF enabled you need a strong CPU and GPU power....since the amount of data to be processed by both is exponently increased. Then it depends by the graphic engine: UT engine is CPU speed related, Q4 is more GPU related...

I'm just killing time waiting for the 4 core cpu's that Intel and AMD are bringing to the market. If they're as nice as I think I'll buy one of those and then I'll start up my overclocking Mhz frenzy mode again:)

that's exactly what i'm going to do.. 4-core AM2 with DDR2! that would be godly, and probably not even going to be THAT expensive at launch.. well, at least i'd get more folding done :)

I am not sure undervolting is a good idea... vcore and vdimm voltages in the AMD64 processors are related and rising one with out rising the other one, or dropping one with out doing so with the other one might be the source for problems... serious ones.

I think its a better idea to leave vcore at stock and just reach the highest clock possible like that, keeping RAM voltage also low (using divider, and low latencies). Your 4400+ looks really good... whats the max overclock it can reach???

2700Mhz is the max it does stable. I can go higher but it doesn't pass 8+ hrs dual prime.

Thats really good... and what would you think is faster: your 4400+ @ 2.7 ghz or a 3700+ SD @ 2.9 ghz???

IMO I say the 4400+ is faster, its just that I have a friend with a 3700+ Sandy @ 2.9 ghz who wants to upgrade to a 4400+ Toledo... I am helping my friend and all, but I would hate to see my friend's face go smiles-grumble.gif if its not fast enough.

:)

I am extremely happy with my overclock of 2.65GHz @ 1.35v (stock), and I don't have to worry about heat, untill I get some money up for better cooling and a bunch of other things I want. Never tried undervolting it, I don't think I will either.