Sign in to follow this  
dreiu

Random freezing while playing games...

System is in the sig, all relevant info is there.

The problem:

While playing games, the system randomly freezes. First, the image freezes, with the sound still playing for the next 4 seconds (as if the image was still going). Then, the sound freezes and starts going bizzurk (random sounds, loud, high pitched).

What I have done:

-Set everything back to OEM settings. Essentially, this just meant setting hte processor to its native 2.2 ghz frequency.

-used the AC97 integrated sound card (with the nVidia drivers)

-changed drivers for my Chaintech vid card

-reinstalled windows xp sp2. right now, there is nothing installed but the necessary drivers, and two games.

-monitored temperatures: used MBM5 with the data files found here on the dfi-street forums. The CPU does not go over ~40C (~1.5vcore) under load with about 31 @ idle, and the video card barely hits 59C under load. The nf4 chipset has the OEM cooler on it, and is getting the OEM amount of volt through it. The temp is around 46 IIRC. The case is very well ventilated; two 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm exhause. The cpu is cooled with a vantec 92 mm fan on a thermalright xp92 HS.

The rails on hte 5, 3.3, and 12v are all where they need to be according to both the bios and mbm5.

I have the latest drivers from nVidia for chipset and video. I did not install the nvidia IDE drivers. My HD is Sata, plugged in the first SATA slot.

In the bios, I disabled everything that is not used (the second NIC, the onboard sound when it was not used, RAID).

I really thought it was the sound card, but when i plugged in the onboard sound and it stil acted up, I really ran out of ideas. This was after i reinstalled XP. When I did reinstall XP, I made sure that all unused devices were turned off in the BIOS.

I think I gave you guys all the details... if I left anything out let me know. I'm at a loss of ideas here.

At first I was going to say unsufficient ram.....but 2 gigs is plenty. Unless they are unstable because of the OCing. I'd run a good memtest and check for errors. Once you've elimated the RAM, you can move onto the next possibility: the Hard Drive.

Is the HD SATA, PATA, IDE? Check to see if the interface mode is correct. If there is a bug or other instability, XP will knock the HD transfer mode down. I had an experience with problems like you're describing, and it ended up being faulty (physically) IDE connections on the mobo.

When's the last time you defragged?:rolleyes:

At first I was going to say unsufficient ram.....but 2 gigs is plenty. Unless they are unstable because of the OCing. I'd run a good memtest and check for errors. Once you've elimated the RAM, you can move onto the next possibility: the Hard Drive.

Is the HD SATA, PATA, IDE? Check to see if the interface mode is correct. If there is a bug or other instability, XP will knock the HD transfer mode down. I had an experience with problems like you're describing, and it ended up being faulty (physically) IDE connections on the mobo.

When's the last time you defragged?:rolleyes:

The 2 gigs are not running out of spec at all, the timings and speed are both stock. They tested with no problems for 24+ hours in memtest. Also, the whole system OC'd passed 24+ hours in prime. Like I said, I reverted back to all stock settings and this still persisted.

The HD is SATA, and from what I can tell, it all seems to be fine. The bios and windows recognize it poperly. The read times are superb while playing movies, or using intensive photoshop.

I defrag every 2-3 days, and even more often after a fresh install of XP.

Guest Kobalt

What game is it? You check event viewer for any errors/warnings?

What game is it? You check event viewer for any errors/warnings?

It's any game I play... But the two games that are installed at the moment are GTA: SA and F1 challenge 99-02. Games I usually play range from HL2 to Doom3 to anything really other than RPG's.

I haven't checked eventvier. It hadn't even occured to me since i don't get any error messages. But that's a great point. I can't do it right now since I just took the video card out to check the connection between the HS and the core. I am also going to apply some AS5 while I have it out.

I dont lnow but could it be the PSU? I changed mine from the OCZ powerstream to the Gamextreme per others advice.. just a thought...

I don't see that being a problem... I mean, all the rails are at the proper voltage. I am only trying to push one HD, one video card and a single core processor. I really don't think that's a problem.

Surely, the PSU would have NO problems running anything in my rig while nothing is overclocked.

I had a problem with freezing in 3D Mark 03 using 91.33 drivers. Went back to 91.31 and it cleared up. Don't know if it would affect those games, but, just in case you have those drivers installed, I thought I'd mention it.

I know I sound crazy here. But I had strange things on my board and when I upgraded the PSU all went away...That OCZ 520 PSU is on the A list . And I know it is my absolute favorite of all time!!!! Just throwing some ideas your way :)

Check this:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854&highlight=powersupply

Did you connect your PSU to all 4 MB connections?

I had a problem with freezing in 3D Mark 03 using 91.33 drivers. Went back to 91.31 and it cleared up. Don't know if it would affect those games, but, just in case you have those drivers installed, I thought I'd mention it.

Looks like the latest ones are 91.31 (according to NV's website). So those are the ones I am currently using. However, before these were released, I was using the current ones at the time (always NV drivers, not omega or anything else). And the problem was there with either versions.

I know I sound crazy here. But I had strange things on my board and when I upgraded the PSU all went away...That OCZ 520 PSU is on the A list . And I know it is my absolute favorite of all time!!!! Just throwing some ideas your way :)

Check this:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854&highlight=powersupply

Did you connect your PSU to all 4 MB connections?

I have all power connectors on the mobo plugged into the PSU.

I did look @ that list (or a similar one at teh time) when I put my computer together (back in november). Back then, IIRC this was one of the best PSU form OCZ, aside from the 600watt. I really don't think this hardware is in need of an even more powerful PSU. I mean, if i was running multiple HD's and more than three major fans, then yes I woudl consider it. But this thing is not even 1 year old.

I appreciate your help :)

EDIT: I am getting ready to call it a night. thanks for your help so far guys, i'll check back tomorrow @ work.