Sign in to follow this  
m c

[RESOLVED]HE GOT A GOOD POWER SUPPLY>> Motherboard toast?

Whoops. Did I screw the pooch a little here or is this going to work?

The psu I ordered with top-mounted fan:

17-341-001-02.JPG

My case with no top-mounted vents:

11-129-155-06.jpg

Is this going to work or no? Can I mount the psu upside-down or is that worthless?

It will most likely install with the fan facing down. I don't think I've seen a system with the fan facing up before. It looks like the wide screwhole spacing in the PSU picture is on the top, next to the fan. On the case, those wide spacings are on the bottom holes, meaning you'll flip the PSU upside down, which will have proper fan placement.

Thanks tasr. I'll take a look at some of the others and see what's what. I'm sure I'll be back with more basic questions.

-m

Before you go out and buy a new PS, see post 22, http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...?t=44070&page=2 , and get with your IT Dir, and see what happens. Post what LEDs, lights, and beeps/buzzer you get when you pull the memory and power up.

In any case, my PSU works fine in my sig. (oops, I guess you got a P/S on the way already...)

I have that exact PSU. Don't worry, they have it upside down so you can see the fan because there is nothing cool to look at on the top (seeing as you will never see the top :)) But when you install it, the fan will face down.

NONE of your questions are stupid - I am a beginner too and these are all of the things I had to learn. PSU's are generally the same in width and height - the main difference is in the depth I think. When you get this PSU you will see the biggest connecter which is a 20 pin connecter - and coming off the same sleve right next to it is a 4 pin connecter. Like the people above said - it is so the PSU will work with 20 and 24 pin motherboards.

Seriously get 1 on the approved list at least. remembering advertised amperages and real ampreages are not allway the same. I'm currently running an OCZ powerstreme520 on my nf4,as I think most of us here do. It werks quite well for what I'm doing now. And I think everyone will agree it's a good 1. I'm currently looking at bigger powersupplies to suit my near future needs.

Ooops..... I'm sorry you allready ordered! That's an OCZ600? You should be good to go,plus some. Nice choice I think. Be sure ya' get all the right plugs plugged in the right place's. If there is a p4+ plug be sure to "NOT" use it. Use only the p4 plug. In the OCZ forums there are details on that.(I'm sure it's under control though.LOL)

Guest BFG

The psu will install upside down just fine. I am probably one of the few people here that actually run their PSU right side up! Its in the bottom of my stacker.

Got my new psu installed. I'm currently hooking everything up but before I try a boot I need a reminder on which slots I should have my RAM in (orange or yellow). I had given the rig to our IT Dir for a CMOS clear and I see they're in the orange slots. I don't remember if that's where I had them originally or if they were in the yellow. Thanks all.

Also, I'm assuming I should not expect the rig to boot up just because I installed a new psu, correct?

Awesome. Thanks, ExRoadie. PSU connected, the rig started right up. Albeit, I had no peripherals connected (monitor, keyboard, etc), but at least I have power which is more than I can say with the original psu.

You guys rock harder than a million granite quarries. Thanks for everything.

Update:

The rig started right up with peripherals attached. I had to reset CMOS settings and I meant to get my BIOS so I could put it in my sig. I'll do that a.s.a.p. Anyhow, WinXP booted without a problem. Everything seemed to be in order EXCEPT my ethernet. I tried to reinstall the drivers via the LanParty disc I got with the board originally bit it didn't seem to work. I've double checked all connections and at this point, I'm out of ideas.

Resolved. This is true. However, I'm still struggling in an effort to get the ethernet to work. Any help would be, as always, hugely appreciated.

Thanks.