Expert - Different problems

Hmm I am guessing it is the memory after all. I decided to try some of the timings in the Stock Speed Database that I had tried just the other day, and once I started X3: Reunion, the system did the screech of death. I returned to the BIOS and set all the changed pages to optimized defaults. Once I started X3: The Reunion, it got to the menu just fine. The problem is not gone though. I will receive an error at any point sometime soon.

This is of course using RAM recommended both on the Mushkin website and on this forum.

I used the timings listed here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58514

and that caused a screech of death no more than 5 seconds into a game starting up.

Okay since my computer currently has to reside in another persons room, I was allowed only a certain time to run memtest. I went up to about 17 hours or so with no errors. I will attempt to keep it going at 24 hours sometime, but considering I received no errors this time, I am guessing my former statements about it being the RAM was a bit off.

I am guessing that it is an issue with the video card. From what I've heard there are tons of issues regarding 7900's. Either way the RAM checks out, pulling out the audigy for onboard sound doesn't solve the problem.. The last thing I can think of is possibly a faulty video card, that is unless anyone has anything else they can think of.

Hi Areadenial

The 7900 series have been having loads of trouble and the cards that are causing the biggest headaches are the factory overclocked versions, is your XFX 7900GTX Factory overclocked? don't mean to throw anyone of the scent but this is also a possible route to the cause of the instabilty, especially if memtest is be completed sucessfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply MODIT, I am not sure if it is the OC version or not. I will give it a look..

Okay this is what I found on my newegg order history:

"XFX PV-T71F-YDF9 GeForce 7900 GTX (665MHz)" It seems they no longer carry that exact card. Hmm I don't know if it's an OC version or not.