Expert - Different problems

I made the switch from AMD to PCI-E recently and have had nothing but problems.

Originally I assumed it was an issue with my XFX 7900GTX, but after using memtest, I found that my RAM was not exactly agreeing with my mobo. I later found that the Expert and TCCD aren't really the best of friends, so I made a switch to some Mushkin Redline CE-6's. After running memtest for a few hours, I found no errors, while the original TCCD RAM would report hundreds of errors in under 10 minutes.

I figured my problems were solved, only to see that I was getting the same errors.

So here is the history of what has happened:

The initial problem was games randomly closing instantly with no errors. The system wouldn't start to chug along at all, nothing at all would happen to sort of give you a "warning" that something was about to happen. One moment you're playing a game, the next you get a seamless crash to the desktop.

The next problems were BSOD's very shortly after

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was the first I received. Soon I stopped getting that exact BSOD, but it was immediately followed by the infamous MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. So it pretty much went from being nothing but IRQL, to becoming nothing but the MCE BSOD.

I later had to put my computer back together, and this is where I put in the new RAM. Everything loaded fine, ran memtest and found no errors at all, unlike the hundreds I'd get on the previous RAM within minutes.

After attempting to play a game, I found myself facing a new error. Any game would randomly lock up the system at random game play times and my speakers would give me this strange as hell squeal type static noise. I checked and found that I needed to switch the slot the sound card was in because both it and the video card were sharing IRQ 18. After switching, the sound card was on 19.

The squealing went away, but the first error I found was DUN DUN DUN, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION had returned! I tried playing WoW again after a while and found that the squealing lock up had returned after maybe three or so MCE BSOD's.

I am not using any nVidia IDE drivers, my drivers for the video card are up to date, my chipset drivers are up to date, and so are my sound card drivers. My PSU might be the problem, as I found it is considered one of the PSU's to avoid. It's one of those modular Ultra XConnect 500W PSU's.

Not sure what all the exact problem is, but if anyone needs more information, please ask. I am willing to do anything to solve the problem. I might even just have to shell out some money for a new PSU. Thinking about an OCZ Powerstream or whatever the good one is.

-- I am also updating my sig with my specs in one second.

Originally I assumed it was an issue with my XFX 7900GTX, but after using memtest, I found that my RAM was not exactly agreeing with my mobo. I later found that the Expert and TCCD aren't really the best of friends, so I made a switch to some Mushkin Redline CE-6's. After running memtest for a few hours, I found no errors, while the original TCCD RAM would report hundreds of errors in under 10 minutes.

I figured my problems were solved, only to see that I was getting the same errors.

The initial problem was games randomly closing instantly with no errors. The system wouldn't start to chug along at all, nothing at all would happen to sort of give you a "warning" that something was about to happen. One moment you're playing a game, the next you get a seamless crash to the desktop.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was the first I received. Soon I stopped getting that exact BSOD, but it was immediately followed by the infamous MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. So it pretty much went from being nothing but IRQL, to becoming nothing but the MCE BSOD.

I later had to put my computer back together, and this is where I put in the new RAM. Everything loaded fine, ran memtest and found no errors at all, unlike the hundreds I'd get on the previous RAM within minutes.

After attempting to play a game, I found myself facing a new error. Any game would randomly lock up the system at random game play times and my speakers would give me this strange as hell squeal type static noise. I checked and found that I needed to switch the slot the sound card was in because both it and the video card were sharing IRQ 18. After switching, the sound card was on 19.

The squealing went away, but the first error I found was DUN DUN DUN, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION had returned! I tried playing WoW again after a while and found that the squealing lock up had returned after maybe three or so MCE BSOD's.

I am not using any nVidia IDE drivers, my drivers for the video card are up to date, my chipset drivers are up to date, and so are my sound card drivers. My PSU might be the problem, as I found it is considered one of the PSU's to avoid. It's one of those modular Ultra XConnect 500W PSU's.

Not sure what all the exact problem is, but if anyone needs more information, please ask. I am willing to do anything to solve the problem. I might even just have to shell out some money for a new PSU. Thinking about an OCZ Powerstream or whatever the good one is.

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION =irq conflict sharing..

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL = as above

i have a sb zs (on the 3 pci slot ) nex to the 2nd pci-express 16 slot)

it would (once in a blue moon (crash) with the screech of death.

when i started using the sound cards firewire, the 2 error messages (above happened)

when i did not use the firewire on the sound card , just the odd screem of death/ restart-lockup would occure..

i moved my sound card to 2nd pci slot (middle) (bios data rest data config) ..

and now no problems...

but if i put my tv card (is also has firewire) in slot 3 (same problem happens)

it seams for me that pci slot 3 is a no go...

now my sound card is on 19 irq with no other things on it.. it works perfect.. firewire and all..

mem i have the black ram (1 speed step lower than yours) samsung chips i think...

Have you tried running with the built-in sound? I like it (YMMV), but if you don't you can at least see if it's stable. If it IS stable, then you know that your latest problem is related to the sound card or it's drivers and not anything else.

I had a nearly identical issue. How I fixed it? Relax your memory timings and / or increase memory voltage. I also applied an "nv4loopfix" after looking around for possible solutions. In any case, the BSODs went away altogether, and freezing while in game also completely disappeared. If you're curious about this nv4loopfix, I zipped up the file and put it on my local webserver. http://urok.ath.cx/nv4loopfix.zip Good luck.

Hello,

Memory in the orange slots.

The PSU must be a 24pin one that has a 8pin EPS connector.

You must also plug the floppy power connector into the board, near the top PCIe slot.

Yeah it is the wrong PSU for this board.

How did you install windows if you did not have a CD/DVD drive?

Using a previous version of windows that was installed on another PC can be a problem.

Also never install the nvidia firewall software, (NAM).

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION =irq conflict sharing..

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL = as above

i have a sb zs (on the 3 pci slot ) nex to the 2nd pci-express 16 slot)

it would (once in a blue moon (crash) with the screech of death.

when i started using the sound cards firewire, the 2 error messages (above happened)

when i did not use the firewire on the sound card , just the odd screem of death/ restart-lockup would occure..

i moved my sound card to 2nd pci slot (middle) (bios data rest data config) ..

and now no problems...

but if i put my tv card (is also has firewire) in slot 3 (same problem happens)

it seams for me that pci slot 3 is a no go...

now my sound card is on 19 irq with no other things on it.. it works perfect.. firewire and all..

mem i have the black ram (1 speed step lower than yours) samsung chips i think...

Hmm that might be the issue I am faced with. I hooked up my iPod firewire cable to my audigy firewire port, but it was just the cord. There was no iPod attached, but when when I saw the screen after having moved away from the back of the case, I saw the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I assumed that since no device was attached, it wouldn't have had any conflict...but from what you said, that might be part of the problem.

Were you able to use the firewire again after what you did when you moved it to the second slot?

Hello,

You must also plug the floppy power connector into the board, near the top PCIe slot.

Using a previous version of windows that was installed on another PC can be a problem.

The hardware has remained the same, except for a change in RAM. Last time I checked, no one needed to format because they added some new sticks. Memory is in the orange slots already and I bought the proper adapters for the PSU.

I was moving from Orlando to LA as of less than a month ago. My computer arrived in LA on the 21st, and I was presented with what once looked like a computer, but now looked like Lian-Li goes to WWII. I didn't feel the need to format my harddrive just because I moved from point A to point B, so windows XP was already installed before the move. Yes it had been formatted when I changed the majority of the hardware in my switch to PCI-E.

Have you tried running with the built-in sound? I like it (YMMV), but if you don't you can at least see if it's stable. If it IS stable, then you know that your latest problem is related to the sound card or it's drivers and not anything else.

I'll make sure to try that out. Would be a good way of seeing if it is sound card related or not.

I had a nearly identical issue. How I fixed it? Relax your memory timings and / or increase memory voltage. I also applied an "nv4loopfix" after looking around for possible solutions. In any case, the BSODs went away altogether, and freezing while in game also completely disappeared. If you're curious about this nv4loopfix, I zipped up the file and put it on my local webserver. http://urok.ath.cx/nv4loopfix.zip Good luck.

Going to try that now! The RAM is at stock timings, but I'll tone it down a little to see if it changes anything. I'll also adjust those voltages. I've installed the nv4loopfix, so hopefully that will do something. Thanks!

--

I'm also going to try the other suggestions from the other users and I'll update with what has happened. Thanks everyone!

Hello,

The hardware has remained the same, except for a change in RAM. Last time I checked, no one needed to format because they added some new sticks. Memory is in the orange slots already and I bought the proper adapters for the PSU.

I was moving from Orlando to LA as of less than a month ago. My computer arrived in LA on the 21st, and I was presented with what once looked like a computer, but now looked like Lian-Li goes to WWII. I didn't feel the need to format my harddrive just because I moved from point A to point B, so windows XP was already installed before the move. Yes it had been formatted when I changed the majority of the hardware in my switch to PCI-E.

All of those errors sound like they are related to the memory settings. There is a database on the forums called the Stock something Database and it has people's settings who use the same RAM as you - and the settings that work for them. Start with these as a basis and tweak from there.

You need to do one stick at a time - in the orange slots - and find which timings and settings they need to work. In Dual Channel, the settings can vary as well - so if you are planning to run in dual channel, get one stick first, then both. Mostly, the Stock Database will help get you going.

I have TCCD memory and have no errors in MEMTEST. It took me a couple of weeks to get the settings 100% right.

That means it must be ATX v2.2.

Using a converter is not good enough.

Are you using just a 8pin EPS converter or that and a 20pin to 24Pin ATX converter?

That means it must be ATX v2.2.

Using a converter is not good enough.

Are you using just a 8pin EPS converter or that and a 20pin to 24Pin ATX converter?

I am using both the adapters, but I have an OCZ GameXStream 600W coming in the mail. We'll see if the PSU is the problem, which I hope it is as the other posted solutions haven't changed the problem.

Edit: Look below

Okay so I installed the new PSU. I am using one of the OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU's and now I am getting the random screech of death again. It's safe to say the issue was not the PSU.

Removing the Audigy 2 and using the onboard sound did nothing. In some cases it seemed like the screech of death came upon me faster while I was using the onboard sound.

Nothing should be overheating. I currently have just the CPU cooled and the reported temperatures in the BIOS suggest that there is no issue with it running too hot. The GPU isn't cooled because I got it somewhat recently and I didn't want to void my warranty to find that I discovered some issue with the card.

Someone said that this is a memory issue, but after using two different types of RAM and a multitude of timings, I've found no solution. I even used the stock speed database and the problem remained.

I've not overclocked anything in the computer as of yet.. All I can think of is the video card being an issue or maybe some other hardware.

Any other suggestions?

Okay so I installed the new PSU. I am using one of the OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU's and now I am getting the random screech of death again. It's safe to say the issue was not the PSU.

Removing the Audigy 2 and using the onboard sound did nothing. In some cases it seemed like the screech of death came upon me faster while I was using the onboard sound.

Nothing should be overheating. I currently have just the CPU cooled and the reported temperatures in the BIOS suggest that there is no issue with it running too hot. The GPU isn't cooled because I got it somewhat recently and I didn't want to void my warranty to find that I discovered some issue with the card.

Someone said that this is a memory issue, but after using two different types of RAM and a multitude of timings, I've found no solution. I even used the stock speed database and the problem remained.

I've not overclocked anything in the computer as of yet.. All I can think of is the video card being an issue or maybe some other hardware.

Any other suggestions?