Upgrade from 3000+ to 4400+ and no boot

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I spoke too soon.

This should probably be in a new thread as it would appear to be an different problem, but I am having issues installing windows. As mentioned above, by disabling ACPI I managed to installed windows XP normally but once I was up and running it was a real pain. For some reason my SATA drive wouldn't show up in windows (it was detected in BIOS fine), my temp sensors didn't seem to be giving accurate readings, and without ACPI it wouldn't shutdown automatically, I had to use the power button (small, but annoying).

I have grabbed our MS action pack subscription from work and been trying different windows versions to see if I can find one that worked and have been totally unsuccessful.

I have tried:

Win XP Pro OEM

Win XP Pro Retail

Win XP Pro x64 Retail

Win XP MCE OEM

Win Vista Beta

and all shutdown during the installing devices stage (except Vista which shutdown at the start once the progress meter reached the end, but I'm not familiar with Vista, so can't say what it was doing).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Dunno why I didn't try this earlier, but disabling ACPI in CMOS has allowed me to pass the stage where it usually shuts down. I will see how it goes in windows.

OK, I spoke too soon.

This should probably be in a new thread as it would appear to be an different problem, but I am having issues installing windows. As mentioned above, by disabling ACPI I managed to installed windows XP normally but once I was up and running it was a real pain. For some reason my SATA drive wouldn't show up in windows (it was detected in BIOS fine), my temp sensors didn't seem to be giving accurate readings, and without ACPI it wouldn't shutdown automatically, I had to use the power button (small, but annoying).

I have grabbed our MS action pack subscription from work and been trying different windows versions to see if I can find one that worked and have been totally unsuccessful.

I have tried:

Win XP Pro OEM

Win XP Pro Retail

Win XP Pro x64 Retail

Win XP MCE OEM

Win Vista Beta

and all shutdown during the installing devices stage (except Vista which shutdown at the start once the progress meter reached the end, but I'm not familiar with Vista, so can't say what it was doing).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Dunno why I didn't try this earlier, but disabling ACPI in CMOS has allowed me to pass the stage where it usually shuts down. I will see how it goes in windows.

At this point you should be installing the AMD dual core drivers.

Did that, no change :-(

I can't understand why my SATA drive isn't working.

The other strange thing is often after a reboot my display resolution drops back to 800x600. It also takes quite a long time to start up.

My temps are wierd too, the 3000 would idle at 19 and go up to around 30 under load, the 4400 is idling at 37 and seems to drop a couple of degrees under load?!?