noahsark1126

new water cooling

This would be my suggestion.

D5 pump

TDX block

Maze4LP w/ heatsinks for mem

Tline port

240 stealth rad (double pass is better)

20ft clear flex 1/2" (always nice to have as you change things around)

fittings as need for your set up

Worm clamps

This would be my suggestion.

D5 pump

TDX block

Maze4LP w/ heatsinks for mem

Tline port

240 stealth rad (double pass is better)

20ft clear flex 1/2" (always nice to have as you change things around)

fittings as need for your set up

Worm clamps

Yea, that's pretty much what I have. I also put some MCT-40 in my list. I need that, right?

What fittings do you think I might need? I'm cooling just the CPU and one video card. And how many clamps?

1/2"tee

12 worm clamps

The mct may with a tdx but like I use a storm and then no way.

It all becomes conductive after awhile.

I have used pc ice and deionized water both work well.

Yea, that's pretty much what I have. I also put some MCT-40 in my list. I need that, right?

No, you do not.

Nothing beats the thermal conductivity of distilled water with a touch of an appropriate additive (I've used Xerex and Pentosin with good results).

While I'm here I might as well add the remainder of my $.02...

Personally, I like watercooling my chipsets.

No, I can't report any benefits re: stability/overclocking but you will see a significant drop in northbridge temps and that can't be a bad thing. The addition of the Swiftech chipset block (I've also used the DD Maze block) had zero impact on the CPU/GPU temps,while lowering the NB temp to nearly ambient.

I also prefer 3/8" tubing to my previously favored 1/2" Tygon.

Bend radii are tighter, the overall look of the case interior is cleaner (obviously a personal prefernce thing...) and again, no real change in temps from the larger bore setup.

Be aware that the D5 pump has been widely reported to have a faint but irritating whine when operating above the #3 setting- mine had it and it drove me crazy.

My Radiical topped MCP350 (18w) is absent this whine and is almost on par with it's larger brother, flow-wise.

The MCP350 is also significantly smaller and may be easier for you to mount.

You haven't mentioned what case you have but, if in anyway possible, I'd definitely go with a triple rad.

They are only slightly more expensive and will give you some extra cooling headroom when you upgrade to SLI or a hotter CPU.

Good luck.

Ok, here is what I've got so far, taking into account all of your advice.

TDX and D5 combo

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=170

low-profile maze4 gpu block

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=161

black ice gts 240 x-flow

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=225

delrin fillport (1/2 OD)

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=244

T (for 1/2 ID tubing)

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=65

12x clamps

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=62

20ft clearflex 60 tubing (1/2 ID and 3/4 OD)

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=61

zerez coolant (4oz bottle)

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=77

total (including discount code and shipping): $216.29

Not bad. That's a lot less than I expected.

And I will of course be buying some 120mm fans. I think air cooling is fine for my chipset. Right now it stays below 40 degrees, which is fine with me.

Am I going to have to drill a hole in the top of my case for the fillport? I don't think I have a drill to do that with. That's what Danger Den says you should do, and it also says to drill a hole for a fan and rad in the top. I know I don't have the tools to do that.

My case is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811146013 Is it big enough for everything? Is there a place I can even put the rad? Do I need a new case?

And maybe this is a stupid question, but do I need 2 rads? That list I posted before only includes one.

Sorry for all the questions, but water cooling is really not my area of expertise.

Well heres what you should imagine. Imagine stacking two 120mm fans on top of eachother. Now add about an inch to an inch and a half and you'll have the size of your radiator. Unfortunately, doesn't look like you have room in the front for the radiator. I've heard of people hanging radiators off the back of the case, but I'm not really sure how you should go about this, as your space in the case is kind of limited. The problem is that if you don't see any place where you can put your radiator in your case and get decent airflow, its going to have to go outside and you're going to have to figure out how to route the tubing inside the case.

I don't have your case on hand but take that approximated size of the radiator and try to see where it would fit that would make sense. Remember that you don't want one side of the radiator blocked because air has to pass through it. Not quite sure how you should set it up.

Fill port isn't necessary if you are going with the reservoir idea. For some reason, everybody here seems to love the fill port/tline setup, but if you are going to get a reservoir, it wouldn't be necessary.

I really don't think you need 2 radiators if they are the 240s. Those are plenty big and quite honestly you'll have enough trouble finding where to place one of those, let alone two of them. Now if you are going to use 1x120mm radiators, then yeah you could get two, but I don't really care much for those tiny rads.

Oh and don't worry about all the questions. I know that if it wasn't for the help of everyone here, I would have never thought I would have been capable of setting up WC on my rig.

You're right, there is definetely not enough room anywhere in my case for a radiator. The black ice is 292mm x 133mm x 29.6mm which is about equal to 11.5in x 5.2in x 1.2in (and is meant to hold 2x120mm fans, obviously, which adds even more to the thickness). I don't have anywhere near that kind of space. So that means I either have to buy a new case (ouch) or put the rad outside the case. There really isn't a good place on the actual outside of the case either, so that means I would need to put it somewhere farther away, which means much more tubing. Can I do that?

I'll look into the reservoir instead of fillport/t-line idea. I would really rather not drill holes in my case, but I will if I have to.

I know its probably not wise to take ideas from thermaltake since everyone badmouths their water coolers but I've seen some of their systems that has reservoirs that have little legs and just kind of sit on the surface (usually a desk) behind the PC.

A couple things I wonder is if theres any disadvantage having a radiator on its side as opposed to straight up and down. I suppose if you are using a good pump it doesn't matter. Also I'm wondering if it would be wise if you used a 2 radiator system. There should be some GTS' that are 1x120mm designs. The good thing about those is that they are easy to place since you can just attach them to any pre existing 120mm fan slots. Your system could go reservoir->pump->gpu water block->radiator 1->cpu->radiator 2->back to reservoir.

The problems with that is that your system seems to only have mounts for 80mm fans (ugh) and 80mm fans suck for water cooling. Also, I'm pretty sure that routing that much 1/2" tubing through a smaller case won't be a whole lot of fun.

Actually, my case has three 120mm fan mounts - one each in the rear, front, and side. Right now there are actually fans in those slots, but I could definetely put some radiators there. And there is more space than you think; it's one of the larger mid-towers out there. My desk has a nice spot for a computer case, which I use, but a full tower wouldn't fit, that's why I got a medium one.

As for the reservoir, is it better to get the cylindrical one or a bay style? I have 4 free 5.25 bays which I could use.

Before you waste money on a res. look over at Xtremesystems,hardocp,procooling and any other WC forums you will find that a res. is not recommended. A delrin reservoir is ok but costly.

Before you waste money on a res. look over at Xtremesystems,hardocp,procooling and any other WC forums you will find that a res. is not recommended. A delrin reservoir is ok but costly.

Really?

I frequent all of those fora and don't recall any "anti-rez" consensus.

Personally I wouldn't build a loop that didn't include a reservoir.

Much easier to fill/bleed and no performance hit, so what's the problem?