• Other (Hitachi, Samsung, etc.)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Of course I'd love a pair of Raptors. Bit rich for my blood tho-

I used to swear by Maxtor. But on my last build I got a great deal on my Seagate. Having used both, I've found the Seagate to be much quieter- in fact my pair of Cuda's running in raid 0 are quieter than any single Maxtor I've ever owned. I'm not saying the Maxtors aren't on par with any other drive of the same speed/cache- most mfgs are very close performance wise. So Seagate is my choice, until such time as I can afford the 10k drives-

I can't actually say I have an overall favorite.

I have a Seagate (120GB in my old Compaq 8000T) that's still going strong, I have a Maxtor that's likewise still going strong, and I have a few WDs that are great, as well as a Samsung.

As far as performance goes, WD wins because of their Raptors. As far as value goes, I ahve to say I am very pleased with what Seagate has to offer, they have a good warranty, they are pretty cheap and don't seem to have too awefully many problems. Could be wrong about that though, haven't researched it much.

Seagates have been running quieter, cooler & longer than anything else.

They all have a 5yr warranty & with their new "Perpendicular Recording" they kill all other 7200RPM HDD's &

even give the 10,000RPM Raptors a run for their money. :)

Have you used any of these drives with Perpendicular Recording? and if so did you see any improvement in seak time or any thing at all?