Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

michaelzhao

154 members have voted

1. 1.

• Seagate
    • Maxtor
    • Western Digital
    • Other (Hitachi, Samsung, etc.)

I've had prettty good luck with all of them, but that all depends on how you define good luck. As Kobalt said "At some point or another, all HDs fail." I've seen stacks of 2, 4 & 8gb Maxtor and WD drives that have failed, so it's just a matter of time for all of them.

I have a 27gb IBM that I keep a version of Windows 98 on.

I also have a 10gb WD that I keep my Commodore 64 stuff on.

I have a 100gb WD that makes clicking noises after being on for a while, but it's been doing that for years and still hasn't failed. It could simply be that it's an old noisy drive and Windows likes to do crap with the drive when you're not working. I've turned off Indexing Services, so I don't know what Windows is even doing there.

The only one I don't like is my 300gb Seagate because it doesn't work in my cheap USB case, the power supply isn't strong enough for it. This is the one I'll be selling next so I can buy a 500gb drive.

I've seen a bunch of refurbished Hatachi 500gb drives on sale cheap. But if they're selling that many refurbished, what's that telling you about the number of returns. Hitachi bought out IBM a few years ago, maybe they're still going though growing pains. I'm thinking of going for the WD SATA 500gb. You can finally pick one up for under $200.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had some Hitachi deskstars, they were rubish... Had a couple of Maxtors after that, but I found them to be kinda loud and hot-headed. Have been using Samsung for a while now, and it's been great!! Silent and low on temps, but not thát great perfomance-wise...

That's why I've got a WD Raptor for OS-es + games, and put the data on the Samsungs.

Greetz!

I've had my 40 GB PATA WD Caviar (I don't know if it's an SE) and it's still running as strong as it always has. It's a little whiny, but I seem to remember it always having been loud, so I'm pretty sure it's not a dependability thing.

I'm really considering that 750 GB Seagate drive though, and David Hammock says Seagate is a good brand, so I'm willing to check them out. They've always been innovators and I think I can trust them. For some reason, whenever I hear the word "Seagate", I always think of this baked red snapper dish I once had. :D

Had to vote Western Digital. Been using them for, geez, can it be 20 years or so? Since the mid to late 80's any way. Hard to believe they've been around that long (maybe my memory's failing me)! As a matter of fact, hard to believe I'VE been around that long! But have had minimal problems, if any, with them. Had a Mitsubishi 80 MB (yes, mega) bak in the day when I upgraded from my so cool 20 MB HD in my old Compaq. It was POS (the Mitsu, that is). Also have a Hitachi in an external backup and am real pleased with it so far---quiet, fast, and relatively inexpensive. But you see what's in my sig. Both current builds have Raptor's and I'm gettin' a big Caviar soon for storage. Might have to look into the Seagates though, given what DavidH said above. Gotta keep an open mind and try new things.

Guest Timmay

Seagates by far... Never had one fail on me and the 3-4GB models are still going strong to this day.

WD by far. Still remember the early days of Seagate when they would only work with each other (they're actually decent now, I would place them a close second), Maxtor has never impressed me, all the IBM's I ever had screwed up quick. WD has always been rock solid for me in particular.

My first computer I ever owned, a Dell in the mid 80's, came with a WD. Every hard drive I’ve ever bought has been WD. Guess what went into my recent DFI build? Why, a couple of WD’s of course, with a Raptor holding the OS and programs.

Seagate would come in second, and I think I had one or two in some of my older Dells. I’ve Never had a hard drive failure. I use an External Maxtor for backup, but will be replaced soon with a larger drive. Probably a WD.

Without doing any research, I wonder where Seagate came up with their name? Could a hard drive manufacturer named Watergate succeed?