• Maxtor
    • Western Digital
    • Other (Hitachi, Samsung, etc.)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kobalt

There is no favorite. At some point or another, all HDs fail.

Having said that, I do have a Maxtor still going strong after 6 years. It is a really slow 5.4k 2Mb cache drive though.

Had drives fail on the day of install before. Have seen bad batches.

So brand name means nothing. MTBF means squat. Warranty is biggest selling point.

... even if it would matter why has some very established manufacturers been put together under some non-important label "other"?

Another problem is that in the range of 80GB brand "A" do perform overall best, in the range of 200GB brand "B" and so on. Personally I would for example at the moment buy more Samsung hard drives as long as I'm looking for 200GB to 250GB hard drives, but if I would buy a 400GB my choice would be WD.

A difficult poll indeed, so I've not selected any.

I watched an interview with the VP of Seagate the other day,(from DL.TV) they now own 40 percent of the storage market, and are the leaders in technological advances if you ask me. But i personally own WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor and am yet to ever have a drive fail.

WD let me down, the 250 I have won't work in the rig, sent her back 4 times and everyone I got was the same, who cares about the warrenty if the none of them works. Got it to work in a USB box so I use it for backup. Running a Maxtor now cause I got it cheap at the time. Going Samsung though, the price is right! You guys notice how cheap hd's are now, I can finially raid, at least in another month.

• 4 weeks later...

My favourite for now is WD.Cause I own it and it is silent and it works great.I also owned a Maxtor 40GB one.That worked w/o problems but it was small and noisyer.Also it was slower since it only had 2MB cache and the cable were a mess cuz of PATA.I would like to try Hitachi out since I've heard good stuff about it.