• Futbol/Soccer
    • Hockey
    • Basketball
    • Baseball
    • Cricket
    • Rugby
    • Other

Guest Halvis
Vintage stuff Halvis...I'd like to see one of todays younger stars on that bike on that course :)

heh. I did the AHRMA thing in the mid 90's. Had a 74 Husky 250CRmag, I let one of the locals who you have never heard of, but still was "pro" enough to qualify for the occasional supercross, take it around a local track one sunday during practice. He had never been on a "vintage" bike before, he doubled & tripled, sailed thru whoops bottoming out both ends of the suspension...

I CRINGED! When he got off of it, he thanked me for the experience. :)

American football is the most physical of all sports

here's what you do

go to any football game

then go to any hockey game (preferrably minor or NHL league)

see the difference

there's no comparison

now, football SEEMS to be the most physical to some for one of two reasons:

1. you've never really watched a hockey game more than a few minutes or once, and since you have no idea of the rules or much about the sport, you discount it

2. the biggest reason football has all the injuries they do is not so much because it is physical.

It IS very physical, but the problem doesn't lie there, it lies in the fact that players run on grass or turf.

The act of physically walking is very demanding on the foot and knees, as well as the back.

Everytime you put your foot down to walk, you create this huge impact of force between the ground and your foot, which is absorbed by the foot, ankle, especially the knees (which is just a joint), and the back (which is just cartilege)

this terrible impact (magnified when running, especially on artificial turf, and then added to by having more force brought down upon you when getting blocked/tackled) is the leading reason why there are so many injuries in football.

Football pads are space-age, state of the art...it's a big business to design and develop light yet super-safe pads and equipment for sports, especially in the USA for football.

the big difference in hockey, is there is little to no impact on the foot, knees, and back when in the act of moving (like running in football).

This simply magnifies the physical nature of hockey when you are looking at injuries. Most injuries in hockey are separated shoulder, back problems, knee problems from hyperextension or a dirty/low check/trip, hand/finger injuries from getting slashed with the stick, and facial injuries from a FROZEN SOLID hockey puck being blasted in your face at 60-100mph, and like a dumbass, you are not wearing a visor (or you are just unlucky and the puck caught you in the face up under your visor).

Football players hit each other at 10-15 mph on average at a full run. The force is tremendous, as any of us that watch football know.

Hockey players can easily hit 35mph on the ice, and those of you that do watch hockey, you have seen some simply incredibly devastating checks....with two players going into the glass at 20mph each and hitting each other with full force...or getting hit with an open-ice check out in the neutral zone cuz you were skating with your head down (not watching where you were or where others were lol).

Football players get to rest for 30 seconds or more between plays, and they only have to move an average of 5-10 seconds during a play (average time a play takes to complete in football).

Plus you got offense and defense, so you get a good rest between your 'shifts'.

Now go watch a real hockey game. Watch how the players will get on the ice, skate up and down, up and down, up and down at full speed the whole time, stopping, starting, stopping, turning, starting, over and over.

notice they only average 30-60 seconds onthe ice, they sit down for 1-2 minutes (most times, sometimes they have to get right back on the ice in 30 seconds depending on the situation).

Ask ANY person who has ever actually played football (organized like high school etc) and also has played ice hockey (heh, beer leagues on up).

Not a single one of them will claim that hockey is less demanding than football. Only until you have went out on the ice and played a real game of hockey can you truly appreciate the monsterous phsyical toll it takes on the body in a 60 minute game.

I can vouch personally that having played organized football in school, and I haven't even started 'beer league' hockey yet (but we've played some pretty intense pick-up games this year), that football is not even a close second to hockey in terms of physical nature.

And keep in mind, we don't 'check' in the beer leagues (physical play like organized hockey, jr high school up to NHL is illegal in rec leagues). I can't even imagine having to skate 5-10 shifts per period at full speed 100% of the time I am on the ice AND having to counter the other team's players trying to check me into the boards so hard that I swallow my mouthguard.

Like I said, I am not saying football isn't demanding. I got my butt kicked playing football a lot but I gave it back as much as I could (i was always a little skinnier than everyone else, but a blindside-tackle at full speed hurts whether it is Angry_Girl or BigJohnnyMonster giving it).

But it is no match for the speed, stamina, and punishment of ice hockey.

Everyone do yourselves a favor if you have never been to a real hockey game.

Check your college for a team (midwest + northeast = bigtime college hockey)

Check your city or nearby city for a minor league pro team

if you are lucky enough to live in or near an NHL city, that is the bigtime, and should be what you go see

go to a real hockey game

pay the $5-20 for a minor league game, or up to $50 for an NHL game. Read up a little on the game and rules before you go so you understand why a penalty was called, or why the play stopped, etc. Games are always much more interesting and exciting if you know what is going on and understand why each team is trying to do what it is doing (even if it is sucking haha).

I think if you understand the game and actually watch one (and an exciting one is always the best, and you'll know if it is exciting or boring right away by the playstyles of each team and the crowd's reaction), you will be a hockey fan.

I used to think it was boring like soccer (run around for 90 minutes then kick one goal yay...zzzzz), and not as tough as football (meatheads trying to kill other meatheads but you can only either try to score, or try to defend....there's not much two-way play)

hockey is a combination of soccer (skate skate skate!!! NEVER STOP MOVING YOUR FEET!!!) and football (don't go for that puck in the corner because Big Hoss is coming and he's got a good 12' headstart to pick up speed on them size 13 skates....and his nickname ain't Career-Ender Hoss cuz he runs a daycare).

Try it, you will like it.

I've seen every sport live except cricket.

Auto racing and soccer are the most boring sports I've ever had to sit through.

Rugby/Aussie football, regular football (USA), and basketball are all ok.

Baseball...is something you should only see live and in person. Otherwise, it is like soccer (but less boorish).

Tennis is ok, and it's very exciting to watch live in person. Hot chicks in tennis outfits help that a bit also.

Boxing was great, but it's so weak now with all the stupid promotions, and how almost 50% of the fights we've watched in the last 3 years on HBO and Showtime seem....rigged...and it is NOT exciting anymore because every 'top' fight is on pay per view, but none are worth paying to view (last one we watched was Tyson biting off Holyfield's ear).

UFC...I don't get it. Men beating other men without much skill (I suppose there's skill there, but it isn't a sport like boxing in my opinion...it's just neanderthal tendencies combined with a bit of skill or experience).

"Pro" Wrestling...what a joke. It's a fake soap opera for men. There's no "sport" involved. It's all fixed, and anyone that doesn't believe that...you should wake up to reality. John Stossel from 20/20 proved it was fake about 20-25 years ago, but even my parents who grew up watching "pro" wrestling in the 50's and 60's knew it was fixed/staged.

It surely takes some physical prowess to be able to do the moves in "pro" wrestling, but it's all choreographed like a kung-fu movie. Watch them in the corners talking to each other about what move they will do next. Watch how they never really "hit" anyone, and notice how the canvas is nothing but padded canvas on a plywood backing that is very flexible and about as dangerous as an old feather pillow.

I hate pro wrestling, as I do poker, because neither are sports. They are simply entertainment (and not entertaining at all to me).

Other sports, even if I hate them, or find them boring, I at least respect that the guys/girls playing them are at the top of their physical condition (unless your name is Keith Tkachuk and you play for St Louis Blues heh), and are much better than I am!

Holy crappage Happy!! I expected a comment from you regarding hockey... :P

You forgot one essential part about the hot tennis chicks...and that's the loud grunts and shreiks and what not...

And you left out motocross :D One of those things you have to try for yourself to truly appreciate...

Good points

Hockey doesn't have some many knee and ankle injuries... maybe. I like that... like i said, I prefer to be punched in the face, to break a few ribs, to someone try to bite me... but ohh please, DONT DARE TOUCH ME IN THE LEGS OR YOU WILL MAKE ME ANGRY :mad:

99.99% of the time Hockey players have their skates in the ice... so no attacking others with them, haha or else it results in murder :P

But how many games pass for a hockey player to die of a game injury??? IMO ice hockey isn't as brutal as Box... or racing... and thats good.

hockey skates are extremely dangerous

I've cut my fingers numerous times after they've been sharpened by grabbing them wrong when moving them etc, and I've got little slices all over my leggings, pants, sticks, etc from hockey skates sliding across them...scary stuff last year Ken Klee I think (Toronto Maple Leaf player) or someone took a skate blade across the face and it cut him open really bad.

Hockey players MUST wear helmets now because a guy from Dallas fell backwards on his unprotected head and it killed him (a good 30 years ago I think)

I fell one night and i know for a fact without a helmet, I would have died from head injuries. I took a nasty concussion and i felt sick to my stomach all day and night heh...ugly stuff

Its good to know the helmet works...

In F1 or other types of racing the helmet is NOT for saving your life... I repeat: its NOT for saving your life. It is just there to save your face and keept it pretty so when they bury you people can say goodbye with your coffin open. Its cruel, but its true... just see what happened to Ayrton Senna in 1994, when a piece of the McLaren's suspension, a rod, went thru between the cockpit's wall and below his helmet and went thru his entire head. Injuries to his body were minimal for the 350+ km/h crash, but this small circumstance made the whole diference.

Hockey should not be a malicious sport... physical stuff should only exist because of inertia, ice and acceleration don't mix well, not because of bad sportsmanship. Players that do this should be punished accordingly like in other sports, since the whole idea is to score more goals than the rivals not actually kill them... young people are watching, hell I am watching and I don't pay the ticket to see blood unless its an accident... and even then I probably look the other way and wish the guy gets better soon.

Like I said before: any sport where a single goal means the diference between winning and loosing, even if its just one goal in the entire game, is my kind of sport... or in other words defense also matters and I enjoy their effort, not only the offense.

What is futbol? hehe. I heard the other day that cricket used to be the national sport of the USA in the 1800's untill I think a war came along (can't remember which one), then it was easier to play a form of English rounders where you only needed four lumps of anything and a small bat and ball. That obviously evolved into baseball, which I love the look of, but stuggle to watch over here in the UK.

Hockey should not be a malicious sport... physical stuff should only exist because of inertia, ice and acceleration don't mix well, not because of bad sportsmanship. Players that do this should be punished accordingly like in other sports, since the whole idea is to score more goals than the rivals not actually kill them... young people are watching, hell I am watching and I don't pay the ticket to see blood unless its an accident... and even then I probably look the other way and wish the guy gets better soon.

the object of hockey is not to be physically violent. The object of hockey is pure strategy. The intertia and speed of the game causes collisions and body/hip checking IS part of the game (you do what you can to bust someone off the puck so you can take it from them) but there are lots of rules about this...what you can and cannot do.

There are lots of penalties in hockey because you CANNOT use your stick for anything but playing the puck. If you put your stick on another player, that is an instant penalty (something I am glad the NHL has finally cracked down on).

You cannot just charge into another player and blast him with a body check unless that player has the puck.

You most definitely cannot hit a player from behind. That is an instant 5 minute major penalty (ie: for 5 full minutes, the team that committed the penalty is down a player, and the other team can score as many times as they can in that 5 minutes, unlike a normal hockey penalty of 2 minutes...once the other team scores, you get to go back to 5 - on - 5 hockey).

Any major penalty is always followed by at least a one game suspension and fines.

I love physical sports, but like you, I hate stupid violence. It has no part in sports.

I need to find a recording of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals last year and let you guys watch...the instant that game started, it was a monster physical battle with both teams throwing body checks.

Let's put it this way...that game was so exciting that the crowd NEVER SAT DOWN DURING THE ENTIRE GAME.

Not once during 60 minutes of play did the crowd sit down.

Now just think about that for a minute...for 3 20 minute periods, no one in that crowd sat in their seats...for 3 20 minute periods, everyone in that arena (17k+ fans) screamed their heads off. The place was a madhouse. I've never seen anything like it other than here in Boise when teh Idaho Steelheads minor pro team won the ECHL championship...I think we maybe sat in our seats for 10 minutes total out of 60 that day, and I could barely talk for a week after because I screamed like a madman the entire game myself lol.

No different than soccer fans I am sure!

Um...Boxing is easily more physically demanding than soccer. I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with one more so...marathon running I suppose. That's all I've got.

I know the world's most demanding sport. You guys would be hard pressed to top this.

Ultra-Marathons! Specifically, the Self-Transcendence Ultra Marathon. How manly is this race? Lol.

HG, I think I understand your point of view of Hockey now... i finally do :)

This is why many people don't like this or that sport, they don't understand it. I don't understand Hocket yet, but i am beggining to, and also beggining to like it... same with that really complex thing called Australian Rules Football hehe.

Now just think about that for a minute...for 3 20 minute periods, no one in that crowd sat in their seats...for 3 20 minute periods, everyone in that arena (17k+ fans) screamed their heads off. The place was a madhouse. I've never seen anything like it other than here in Boise when teh Idaho Steelheads minor pro team won the ECHL championship...I think we maybe sat in our seats for 10 minutes total out of 60 that day, and I could barely talk for a week after because I screamed like a madman the entire game myself lol.

No different than soccer fans I am sure!

NOPE, no diference... and imagine starting the game with a 1-3 score against from previous game (away), and your team fighting against the other team just defending, and the referee being a retard... and bitting your nails... and screaming your lungs out... and when the first goal comes you found out there is hope... and then a near second goal... and then another near second goal... ahhh, your team can win with just a 2-0 because they scored a goal in the previous game (those count double for breaking a tie)... but if the other team scores one, it messes things up!!!

Hmm, lets just say I am sure my life is going to be limited by how many of these games I experienced icon11.gif, and yes thats how Hockey probably is too.