DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2 (socket AM2) official discussion thread

Okay, after reading the posts about the LANParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R Motherboard, I feel that I would be better off with the Infinity board. It looks like there is still some problems and I really don't need something that will be a PITA. For what I want to do, the Infinity looks like it will fit the bill. One question, will this board/NF Ultra II chipset support the AM2 65nm processor when they come out in mid Dec? And I just noticed, it will support DDR2 800, correct? I want to get the OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). I am new to DFi mobo's but I want the best :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK, as long the 65 nano AMD CPU fits the MoBo power envelope, there will be no problem, fact that AMD CPU's have an integrated memory controller. I bought this AM2 rig simply because of its promised long upgrade path, as AMD has stated that desktop K8L or whatever name its future core would be will suit AM2 MoBo as well.

Okay, after reading the posts about the LANParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R Motherboard, I feel that I would be better off with the Infinity board. It looks like there is still some problems and I really don't need something that will be a PITA. For what I want to do, the Infinity looks like it will fit the bill. One question, will this board/NF Ultra II chipset support the AM2 65nm processor when they come out in mid Dec? And I just noticed, it will support DDR2 800, correct? I want to get the OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). I am new to DFi mobo's but I want the best :)

There are never any guarantees that any of the current boards will support the newer CPUs.

As for the ram... prices have gone up a lot lately. In July, a 2GB Corsair PC2-6400 kit could be bought for $160. Last week, the same kit was selling for $320 at NewEgg. It's down a bit now, though. Is there a ram shortage? Higher materials and production costs? Or just the fact that the price/value leader (i.e. OCZ) has dropped the ball and retailers are trying to make some extra cash on the higher demand for other brands?

Personally, I do not see any need for anything over PC2-5300 with an AM2 board. However, if you do buy PC2-6400 then make sure it will at least boot with 1.8v. Otherwise, you'll run into the same problems. Either that, or buy a cheap 256MB PC2-4200 DIMM with your OCZ kit so that you can get into the BIOS to make the necessary voltage changes.

Personally, I do not see any need for anything over PC2-5300 with an AM2 board. However, if you do buy PC2-6400 then make sure it will at least boot with 1.8v. Otherwise, you'll run into the same problems. Either that, or buy a cheap 256MB PC2-4200 DIMM with your OCZ kit so that you can get into the BIOS to make the necessary voltage changes.

May I ask why you see no need for anything over PC2-5300??? I had 6400's and even with dividers and not running it at the lowest possible setting I hit a wall with my RAM before maxing out my CPU. I have the 7200 EPP installed now and it seems that they wil scale further then my chip is capable of currently. More is always better when it comes to speed.....

May I ask why you see no need for anything over PC2-5300??? I had 6400's and even with dividers and not running it at the lowest possible setting I hit a wall with my RAM before maxing out my CPU. I have the 7200 EPP installed now and it seems that they wil scale further then my chip is capable of currently. More is always better when it comes to speed.....

How much real world performance did you gain with your $400 ram?

I actually paid $279 for my RAM. But I was able to take my chip to 2920mhz so far and will figure out how to get the rest of the way to 3.0 Ghz so I can represent the AM2 Dual cores in the OCDB. I was not getting that far before with out running real low dividers on my RAM.

Besides it is not a matter of having to buy RAM like this, People do it because we can. Based on the Price that the 6400 Platinums were on Friday night this was a cheaper and more logical choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227089

New Egg does not have the dual channel kit of my 7200 EPP right now but they are selling the single sticks for 149.99 which makes it a smarter purchase then the platinum 6400....

I actually paid $279 for my RAM. But I was able to take my chip to 2920mhz so far and will figure out how to get the rest of the way to 3.0 Ghz so I can represent the AM2 Dual cores in the OCDB. I was not getting that far before with out running real low dividers on my RAM.

Besides it is not a matter of having to buy RAM like this, People do it because we can. Based on the Price that the 6400 Platinums were on Friday night this was a cheaper and more logical choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227089

New Egg does not have the dual channel kit of my 7200 EPP right now but they are selling the single sticks for 149.99 which makes it a smarter purchase then the platinum 6400....

So you are saying "wait" on the RAM or get what you got? Not sure I understand ... but I'm willing to listen ...:confused:

Does anyone have a guess if I was to order this board, the Infinity, would it come with the latest BIOS? That is if there is one. What's the latest BIOS for this particular board?

Edit: Okay, I went to DFi.com and the support page for the BIOS for the Infinity Ultra II-M2 and the most recent is dated 2007/07/11. Anyone know when they may have a new BIOS out?

Does anyone have a guess if I was to order this board, the Infinity, would it come with the latest BIOS? That is if there is one. What's the latest BIOS for this particular board?

Edit: Okay, I went to DFi.com and the support page for the BIOS for the Infinity Ultra II-M2 and the most recent is dated 2007/07/11. Anyone know when they may have a new BIOS out?

It would depend on where you order it from. Some are reporting receiving boards with an August BIOS that is not posted anywhere. My board came with the initial June BIOS.

If you email me, I will send you the August BIOS. I have been running it since last Thursday and it seems very stable.

My screenshot of an unreleased yet coming fresh out of the Box BIOS. I bought the MoBo in September 10 2006. It's 800x600, so it's OK right ? :cool:

bios080906code8um2d809screenshotpq8.jpg