Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2 (socket AM2) official discussion thread

I did not even mention your cpu.

What I gave you is the proper memory model for your MB.

If you do not have that model #, maybe you should call the vender you purchased the memory from and ask him to exchange for the proper model #.

Actually after looking at his model #, it looks as if there is a difference of 1gb and 2gb.

Maybe this is the right memory for the board.

I still would RMA the memory, looks as if that is more of a problem, unless he has a severe heat problem.

How more plain could you ask me to be.

I realize that you did not mention my CPU. I was just trying to ask a general question about whether there was anyway that a CPU problem could cause these symptoms that I am seeing. I just don't want to overlook any possibilities.

Is there a list somewhere of all possible proper memory models for this motherboard? If so could you please post a link for me? I was not aware that there was such a list which is why I was not sure about what you meant when you said that the number you gave was the model # for my motherboard.

I am sorry to bother you with questions about what you said, I guess I don't know enough to understand what you mean sometimes. I would just like to know what it is that makes you think that the RAM is the most likely culprit so that I can learn.

Just to be clear, I had both sticks of RAM running dual channel with my previous motherboard (same model) for about a week and a half before something went wrong with the motherboard and I had to RMA it (see my first post). During that time I ran dual instances of Prime95 (utilizing about 80% of my RAM) for 48 hours without any errors. Now with my new motherboard I tried with both sticks and then with each stick individually and I had the same problem each time. So what I am trying to understand is, is it a common thing for both sticks of RAM to go bad at the same time and if they are bad is it because they were somehow damaged by the other board?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Should I have posted this problem in a seperate thread?

So I just put this new rig together last week and changed the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 like it's supposed to be and when I post now it shows these timings but it says that it's DDR2 628. Is there a way to make it run at the DDR2 675 speeds it's supposed to or a way to check that it is running at the correct speeds and it's just posting wrong? I don't know a ton about this and couldn't find much info on a problem like this other than the mobo or ram being bad but it seems to work just fine otherwise. Thanks

the whole timing thing is the memory controller on the AM2 chip itself. I do believe it is running right where it will depending on where you set your HTT Multi, and what ram speed you select.

Guest bobyjo
I realize that you did not mention my CPU. I was just trying to ask a general question about whether there was anyway that a CPU problem could cause these symptoms that I am seeing. I just don't want to overlook any possibilities.

Is there a list somewhere of all possible proper memory models for this motherboard? If so could you please post a link for me? I was not aware that there was such a list which is why I was not sure about what you meant when you said that the number you gave was the model # for my motherboard.

I am sorry to bother you with questions about what you said, I guess I don't know enough to understand what you mean sometimes. I would just like to know what it is that makes you think that the RAM is the most likely culprit so that I can learn.

Just to be clear, I had both sticks of RAM running dual channel with my previous motherboard (same model) for about a week and a half before something went wrong with the motherboard and I had to RMA it (see my first post). During that time I ran dual instances of Prime95 (utilizing about 80% of my RAM) for 48 hours without any errors. Now with my new motherboard I tried with both sticks and then with each stick individually and I had the same problem each time. So what I am trying to understand is, is it a common thing for both sticks of RAM to go bad at the same time and if they are bad is it because they were somehow damaged by the other board?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Should I have posted this problem in a seperate thread?

I did a copy and paste of that list of Crucial Memory.

Just go to the mfg website and find the memory configurater.

There select the type of hardware to start with. Motherboard is the normal starting place.

Then select the mfg name, then select the model of the MB.

Afterwards you will be presented with part # of memory that is compatable with yout MB. 90% of Memory mfg has this feature.

There are a couple that I have not been able to find, in this case you would need to call the mfg and ask them to give you the model #.

So I just put this new rig together last week and changed the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 like it's supposed to be and when I post now it shows these timings but it says that it's DDR2 628. Is there a way to make it run at the DDR2 675 speeds it's supposed to or a way to check that it is running at the correct speeds and it's just posting wrong? I don't know a ton about this and couldn't find much info on a problem like this other than the mobo or ram being bad but it seems to work just fine otherwise. Thanks

DDR2 628 is correct. The memory speed is derived from the CPU speed. For a 3500+ at 2200MHz and the 667 memory divider set, your memory speed is 2200/7 = 314 or 628 DDR2. Here is a chart showing DDR2 speeds for various CPU multipliers and HTT speeds.

am2allmultipliers8009sglf1.th.jpg

DDR2 628 is correct. The memory speed is derived from the CPU speed. For a 3500+ at 2200MHz and the 667 memory divider set, your memory speed is 2200/7 = 314 or 628 DDR2. Here is a chart showing DDR2 speeds for various CPU multipliers and HTT speeds.

am2allmultipliers8009sglf1.th.jpg

Thanks, I didn't know that. Just curious but how do they go about putting DDR2 675 or DDR2 667 like is usually posted for specs?

Also, does that mean my ram will have lower performance than it would if I had a slower cpu and lower multiplier but had speeds of 667?

If you look at the chart only the even multi CPUs give memory speeds at spec for a chosen divider, and even then not in all cases. For example, a 10 multi gives 400, 500 667 and 800MHz RAM speeds at 200 HTT. There is no way to obtain 533. The odd multi CPUs are worse, the only memory speed at spec is DDR2 400. I would rather have the higher CPU clock than have my memory running a bit faster with a lower clocked CPU. In any case if you want your memory to run at DDR2 667 just increase your HTT to 212. This will also overclock the CPU to 2332 MHz which should be easily obtained without any voltage increase. You may need to lower the LDT multiplier from 5 to 4 though. If you dont want to overclock the CPU, you could try just overclocking the memory by using the 800 divider. This would boost your memory to DDR2 733, which should also be fairly easy with your Corsair, requiring only a modest Vdimm increase, if any. Get to know the BIOS, tweak, and check for stability. Document what you do so you know what works and what doesn't. Most of all, have fun!

Well I am pretty sure that it is not the memory. I went and got a new stick and I still had the same problem. So I guess I am going to have to RMA the motherboard again.

I did find an interesting little blurb in the manual. It said that if the keyboard controller is pulled low (whatever that means) then the motherboard will repeat the POST procedure infinitely, and this seems to be what my board is doing. It said that this is used to burn in the board at the factory. So I am wondering if it is possible that whatever they did to cause this to happen at the factory was not undone, or if something could be shorted out that would have the same effect.

Has anybody heard of anything like this?

Guest bobyjo
Well I am pretty sure that it is not the memory. I went and got a new stick and I still had the same problem. So I guess I am going to have to RMA the motherboard again.

I did find an interesting little blurb in the manual. It said that if the keyboard controller is pulled low (whatever that means) then the motherboard will repeat the POST procedure infinitely, and this seems to be what my board is doing. It said that this is used to burn in the board at the factory. So I am wondering if it is possible that whatever they did to cause this to happen at the factory was not undone, or if something could be shorted out that would have the same effect.

Has anybody heard of anything like this?

With all the problems and work you have doen.

I would recommend just starting from bare bones and troubleshoot everything.

Remove everything from the case, place the MB on the box it came in close enough to the powersupply as to plug in all the required powercables.

Install the cpu hs/fan, one stick of memory, and the video card.

It is OK if you attach the monitor cable so you can see if the board posts.

Press the start button on the MB, does the MB post, you should hear a single beep?

If no post you must start looking for a short in the case and cables etc.

If you find anything correct it and reinstall the MB.

Do not install any farther components.

Does the MB post?

If so install the second stick of memory.

RECHECK

install the hard drive cable

RECHECK

and so on, you get the idea, after each component install

RECHECK

This way you will isolate what was the problem.

If step one is a no post::

RMA the defective component:

It would help if you had other components to try out in your board.

I personally have not tried 2 sticks of 4200, but 1 stick of Kingston KVR533 C4 fire right up in the board. I have to ask the question why anyone would want ram that slow to go with a board as good as this one? I keep changing RAMs trying to find the golden sticks that will clock to where I would like.