DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2 (socket AM2) official discussion thread

OK,

Have installed Windows XP SP2 and everything is up and running.

I installed the XP SP2 Dual-Core hotfix and June 2006 X2 driver optimizer. I wasn't sure about this but went ahead anyway and followed the instructions found at the AMD Forums.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=64936

I also read an article at:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

Everything is up and running.

Guess I will see how it works out.

let us know!

My Infinity Ultra-II's are rock solid, and overclock very nicely ;)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from previously owning a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 mobo, I went out and bought myself a DFI Infinity UltraII M2 mobo thinking I can achieve better speeds with the Dfi. Woah, was I wrong big time. The only difference between the two mobo's as far as overclocking options are concerned, is the memory options, the DFI has a bit more but I don't think most people will need most of the options thats provided by DFI. The Gibabyte is way more stable than the DFI from my experience, testing both of them.

The quality, look and feel of the Infinity is ummm how can I say this, cheap? Yes mucho cheapo. I was shocked when I first looked at the GREEN mobo, not to mention the horrible generic user's manual(looks like it was just xeroxed and glued together), I can make a better user's manual with my deskjet printer. Sorry if I sound like I'm dissing DFI, but all I had with their mobo was instability problems, even when I wasnt overclocking. Can totally tell the difference in windows. Im back to using the Gigabyte mobo now, very stable, and responsive in windows, not like the DFI. The Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 is definitely the better buy overall. Thats my opinion after testing these two mobos.

let us know!

I am using Lavalys Everest to benchmark the system I have built. My memory timings are at CL 5-5-5-15 command rate 1T

I thought my memory was suppose to run at CL 3-3-3, which is what it said on the package. (DDR2 PC2-5300 Latency 3-3-3) But Everest Ultimate shows my memory able to read at the following:

@ 333 Mhz 5-5-5-15

@ 266 Mhz 4-4-4-12

@ 200 Mhz 3-3-3-9

Guess I need to learn a lot more about memory, so that is what I'll be reading up on. I will need to start at a very low starting point where I can understand what is said. Hopefully I will find an article that holds my hand and has formulas I can work out by hand or calculator to understand how it works.

Lately I have been having heavy cpu load when DLing files. I am using the onboard NIC. This didn't happen when I first got the board. Any ideas? Is it gonna pop soon?

Also, are all four SATA ports locked? I don't seem to be able to run much over 266 anymore. That's where I usually keep it for 24/7, but benched it over 300 before and the only thing I can think I have changed is adding an HDD.

Watched Angry's video. Had to cut a little metal off "metal bar" which holds the white plastic plunger so it (metal bar) would not touch a capacitor(?) on the motherboard. Used a Dremel. Using Everest Ultimate 2006 to measure the temps. A few days ago temps were reading 54-55C. Now, 44C during the first hour after change.

I am not sure how long Artic Silver's Ceramique needs to work best.

@spursindonesia: thanks for the am2 clip information.

@ DFI'ers: i wrote to TT customer service couple of days ago and here is the response that i got from Tim Hong today:

"The original clip will support LGA 775 w/o any problem.

AM2 clip will be send to you today. Please allow 4 to 5 businesses days for delivery.

Item was sent via USPS."

WHICH means, they are sending the correct/compatible clip for original TTBT for AM2 boards - great service - just to let you know - spread the word!!

UPDATE: AM2 compatible t-clip with instructions arrived 2 days ago from thermaltake - if you wanna use your big typhoon - shoot them an e-mail...

Well from previously owning a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 mobo, I went out and bought myself a DFI Infinity UltraII M2 mobo thinking I can achieve better speeds with the Dfi. Woah, was I wrong big time. The only difference between the two mobo's as far as overclocking options are concerned, is the memory options, the DFI has a bit more but I don't think most people will need most of the options thats provided by DFI. The Gibabyte is way more stable than the DFI from my experience, testing both of them.

The quality, look and feel of the Infinity is ummm how can I say this, cheap? Yes mucho cheapo. I was shocked when I first looked at the GREEN mobo, not to mention the horrible generic user's manual(looks like it was just xeroxed and glued together), I can make a better user's manual with my deskjet printer. Sorry if I sound like I'm dissing DFI, but all I had with their mobo was instability problems, even when I wasnt overclocking. Can totally tell the difference in windows. Im back to using the Gigabyte mobo now, very stable, and responsive in windows, not like the DFI. The Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 is definitely the better buy overall. Thats my opinion after testing these two mobos.

no you're wrong! most people who opted for DFI because they wanted the extra memory timings! :tooth:

anyway.... i found that DFI's options are lesser than Biostar's TForce.

DFI missed stuffs such as async latency, Tref, idle cycle, queue bypass, and some other drive strength options :)

I'll second this (although I only have one Ultra-II). Super solid (not one problem ever) and easy overclocking on my X2.

Watched Angry's video. Had to cut a little metal off "metal bar" which holds the white plastic plunger so it (metal bar) would not touch a capacitor(?) on the motherboard. Used a Dremel. Using Everest Ultimate 2006 to measure the temps. A few days ago temps were reading 54-55C. Now, 44C during the first hour after change.

I am not sure how long Artic Silver's Ceramique needs to work best.

Break in is 200 hours I belive.