Sign in to follow this  
red930

What kinda goop is used!?!

Well yesterday i was bored and decided to replace the stock thermal goop on my chipset with some AS5.

So i get the chipset cooler off with no problems and see some pinkish thermal material. I wasn't to concerned as I had my 91% alcohol ready to go and got to scrubbing. Much to my dismay this stuff seemed to be totally unaffected by the alcohol. I ended up using a razorblade to (carefully) scrape that crap off. I don't know what it was...but it sure was a PIA to remove :mad:

Anyway, now that i have the AS5 on, i'm running a few degrees cooler :)

Most of us use a credit card to take the goop off or some other piece of plastic. Razor blade can nick the chip and then it's whoops!

Most of us use a credit card to take the goop off or some other piece of plastic. Razor blade can nick the chip and then it's whoops!

well i didn't use much pressure at all, just enough to scrape the goo off. I'm still curious as to what it was though....never encountered that before

Just make sure you use "acetone" to remove the residues....cuz with regular alcohol you're in for a long time trying to scrap everthing off ...

Same here. I just removed most of it with a credit card, then used isopropyl alcohol and a polishing rag.

Well i have an Infinity board...different stuff must've been used cuz the stuff on the chipset laughed at the alcohol

LOL, did it say anything, too?

Like:

"Puny mortal, your attempts are futile"

You should have told it:

"We are DFI, you will be assimilated"

LOL, did it say anything, too?

Like:

"Puny mortal, your attempts are futile"

You should have told it:

"We are DFI, you will be assimilated"

you know it may of....but i had the star wars battle music so loud i couldn't hear it if it actually did :P

But seriously...has anyone else with an Infinity board popped off their chipset HSF & taken a gander at it?

nope, it wasn't a tape type, as some "spilled" off of the chip and onto the PCB, it was definately a "goo"

lol