Sign in to follow this  
mrh1

7950 GX2 Quad Sli

Hi

Could i run a 7950 GX2 Quad Sli on my motherboard??

Thanks

Martin

Hi

Could i run a 7950 GX2 Quad Sli on my motherboard??

Thanks

Martin

Sure but you do not have anywhere near enough CPU and system speed to support it effectively.

Viper

Sure but you do not have anywhere near enough CPU and system speed to support it effectively.

Viper

WTF? You're kidding, right?

Amd Opteron 165 @2.7

G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000

That just sounds like an absurd statement, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Amd Opteron 165 @2.7

That just sounds like an absurd statement, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I would recommend a bigger PSU if you're going to be running four physical video cards.. but I think it would work just fine, but I do think there would be some sort of a CPU bottleneck.

I say go with dual 7900gtx's.. IMO

I have to agree with the PSU statement, but 2.7GHz and 2Gb of RAM should definitely suffice, considering most modern games utilize GPU power more than CPU power. I am not a gamer, and even I know that. IMO, that's almost like saying don't OC your CPU to 275MHzx10 because your RAM is rated for 200MHz ... that's just ludicrous.

Amd Opteron 165 @2.7

Not in the slightest. You need a massive amount of FPU for polygon calulation to support a quad

SLI setup. You see a pair of modded 7900GTX's in an SLI hitting that wall all the time with the

FPU in the CPU becoming the SLI scale up bottleneck.

I used to run and test customer cards at 2700Mhz with an Opti 170. When I switched to an FX60

at 3Ghz and then 3.3Ghz while holding modded card speed the same the graphics speed increased

markedly. The cards can not process and render polygon data if they can't get it when they are

ready for it due to system speed, namely FPU processing speed, limitations.

It is no secret that SLI and especially CF setups can easily be system speed bottle necked these days

and 2.7Ghz just isn't "all that fast" anymore. If you want to see SLI just rip run en with a Conroe that

is OC'ed to the wall.

Viper

Can you explain your reasoning behind this, please.

Sorry if I sounded disrespectful, I wasn't aware you were a moderator here.

i agree with him totally (viperJohn it is), Quad SLI with current GEN mem and CPU is more or less worthless, just check out reviews, you'll see for yourself, besides a couple of games, even at ultra high reses of above 2000Xwhatever a normal Sli/CF is better.

a. it has lower clocks.

b. its just too much for the cpu/memory/motherboard to take... its too many signals at the same time, nothing related to pcie speed or anything like that, just pure math power of all of the serrounding compandents isnt enough, maybe with a quad core cpu, and if they put a new mem technic, like 4 chips or something like that... but till then, a 7900 sli is probably better, will take less power, draw (maybe) less heat and will just be easier and more driver friendly...

latz